Toronto Ryerson Student Learning Centre | 50.59m | 8s | Ryerson University | Zeidler

The below grade portion is most likely a temporary arrangement. The Theatre School was looking for a new temporary building because their current one is falling apart. I feel like they're taking that space, which will be temporary (the school wants those leases for money).

Actually, I heard from my friend last night they are indeed taking space in the building. Their losing ownership over the theatre school building.

I thought that image was the rendering as I was scrolling down. great job.
im not a big fan of the concrete base though unfortunately.
I feel that today's architects are having a hard time making the ground level more engaging and inviting. In the old days they used to do a much better job.

I thought that image was the rendering as I was scrolling down. great job.
im not a big fan of the concrete base though unfortunately.
I feel that today's architects are having a hard time making the ground level more engaging and inviting. In the old days they used to do a much better job.

I feel like the steps here may actually be a nice place to sit down on a nice summer day. So long as it is not too busy with students.

I'd say the building engages well with the street. Yonge has retail with entrances from the street. The steps are supposed to be for people to sit and linger, like the steps to the New York Public Library.

The way it has retail along Yonge but also gestures toward Yonge Street with its entry stairs and its peeled-up corner at an angle marks it as a gateway to the RU campus. I think they balanced the institutional and commercial aspects very well. Not every retail unit has to be entirely on ground-level, and most of Yonge Street follows that model so the occasional diversion from the normal retail typology is not a bad thing.

So if I understand correctly, Dundas station runs underground to almost Gould, meaning that any PATH connection to the SLC/Gould street would require a redevelopment of the whole 10 Dundas block?

Unfortunate if that is the case. Could potentially be worth it in the long run though, that whole block is badly used.

edit: I suppose a redevelopment of the Worlds Biggest Bookstore on Bay/Edward could provide us with an unconventional connection to the PATH on Gould. That would be impractical for Ryerson students wanting to enter Dundas station though unless a northern entrance to Dundas stn is also made.

Last edited:
Depends. If you were to punch something through to 10 dundas somehow from the redevelopment to the south of the SLC it would likely come out somewhere around where the Shoppers in 10 Dundas is today. It is possible, but you would lose retail space in 10 Dundas.

There will likely never be a connection to the SLC however (and therefor a connection to Ryerson's small indoor network, unfortunate), as the ground floor of the SLC is rather unfriendly to a connection.

The second entrance to Dundas will likely come in the base of the redevelopment to the south of the SLC, and will only be from the northbound platform from its absolute north end.

Am I the only one that feels like Ryerson has been missing the chance for additional connections to its indoor network? currently only 3 buildings (SLC will be the 4th) are connected, but the engineering building, image arts building, and student union building all could have been easily connected through underground tunnels.

Last edited:
A connection to the SLC can be overlooked if there was an entrance on Yonge/Gould. The big issue today is that Ryerson students must walk on Yonge or on Victoria street to reach the campus which is an annoyance during the winter time. An entrance on Yonge/Gould would mitigate that substantially. (And probably reduce the crush load of pedestrians walking between Victoria and Yonge on Dundas, and at the Yonge-Dundas intersection. I've seen what can only be described as 'pedestrian traffic jams' at that intersection on the occasion.)

Back