Toronto Ryerson Student Learning Centre | 50.59m | 8s | Ryerson University | Zeidler

It's a belated moot point by now, but I find it noteworthy that when Sams installed its first sign in the 70s, they simply lay it flush against the existing mansard dormers--yet when they installed the second sign in the 80s, they ripped the neighbour's dormers off, even though the property was already on the heritage inventory...

...or, as I emphasized, they had less respect for the building they affixed the *second* sign to. Perhaps because they conveniently forgot how they handled the first sign...

I wish Ryerson would buy and restore that gorgeous red brick building on the south side of Gould.

I'd rather see a major retailer (with deep enough pockets to really fix the place up) go in there.

It's one of those buildings that you wish there was more of it. I would love to extend it south to TLS.

Maybe this will be the Wal Mart site :{

I'd rather see a major retailer (with deep enough pockets to really fix the place up) go in there.

It will happen, it's only a matter of time until someone picks up that treasure. Once the economy picks up I predict. I've always wanted to know what's up there on top! I don't ever remember being able to go up past the second floor.

Last edited:
It will happen, it's only a matter of time until someone picks up that treasure. Once the economy picks up I predict. I've always wanted to know what's up there on top! I don't ever remember being able to go up past the second floor.

I wish I could be so optimistic, after all, those two gems across from the Eaton Centre have remained rotting as well...

La Cage Aux Folles played up there for years, years ago, didn't it?

No, that was further south, just south of the Hard Rock upstairs. I think it was "An Evening at La Cage" or something like that?

Where was Le Strip? I remember staring, fascinated, at the sign from the inside of Eaton's every time when I was a kid.

Ryerson has just closed the purchase of 355 Yonge Street, a small, crummy-looking structure immediately on the north side of the Sam's site. It will allow them to build their new building just a bit larger.

Back