Toronto Ryerson Student Learning Centre | 50.59m | 8s | Ryerson University | Zeidler

Mar15-09049.jpg

Mar15-09055.jpg

Mar15-09056.jpg

Does anybody have any information why they halt demolition at former site Sam the Record Man and ex future shop store? I do not know if it is true someone told me Ryerson University is in a negotiation to purchase two more stores north of Yonge Street for more expansion for their student learning centre.

Still no movement with demolition

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

I don't know why the demolition has stopped, but I do know the project is not dead. Tenders are out right now for various trades, so things are still moving along.

There is an exporperation taking place for 355 Yonge next to where the hordering stops.

Need to go a few more stores north. They could already be bought and waiting for 355 before closing.

drum:

Very interesting bit of info - so it lends more substance to the persistent rumour of Ryerson trying to snap up more property on Yonge, on top of what they've already acquired...

AoD

I dont like the idea of Ryerson having an increased presence on Yonge St. Institutional buildings just seem so out of place on Yonge which is traditionally retail... especially along this strip which is really the epicenter of the retail experience in Toronto.

Last edited:
Redroom:

The Ryerson Master Plan more or less called for maintaining retail along the strip - that said, with rebuilding the nature of retail and built form will be significantly different.

AoD

interesting... if they envision something like the Canadian Tire at Bay and Dundas with residences above, I'll pass on that as well.

Redroom:

The site is probably not deep enough for a big box store - and I think the intent is mainly to put in teaching spaces/offices.

AoD

If retail is maintained than that's a good thing.

Back