Toronto Ryerson Student Learning Centre | 50.59m | 8s | Ryerson University | Zeidler

Huh? Im Ryerson alumni and damn proud of a good chunk of the buildings on campus. The maintenance was fine while I was a student, and many buildings have been updated since I graduated (2010). It is popular because its right in the centre of Canada's largest city, and offers an experience beyond your typical campus lifestyle. Downtown becomes your campus. My little sister just went to 'discover Ryerson' last week to take a look at the campus and liked it much more than UofT, to the point that she has now made it her number 1 choice. Her first impression wasn't that of a 'dirty' school, but a very new and modern school, with a much more vibrant campus lifestyle.

Hard to compare Rye to UofT. UofT has been around for a lot longer. Ryerson has just started to make their mark. I never thought of Ryerson as a dirty school when I attended. The school has come a long way from just 10 years ago.

Ryerson's just making its mark. UofT had a super early head start. Unfair to compare the two schools. A lot of good talent comes from Rye (including me :))

Hmm, I wouldn't say I am 'proud' of being a Ryerson student, but I'm pretty damn happy with the experience so far.

It's true it is unfair. And it is getting better from the time that I went to school there for a few months (wasn't a good fit for me at all and I worried about my future propects). I work with a lot of Ryerson grads and they always hesitate to say where they went to school, kind of like they wished they went somewhere else. I think when people spend so much time and money going to school that they should be proud of all that effort and massive student loan debt. Although degrees are a dime a dozen nowadays people should be proud of ANY post-secondary edumacation. It's a big accomplishment.

The SLC is a great addition to the school that's for sure now that I've checked it out in person :)

Last edited:
I work with a lot of Ryerson grads and they always hesitate to say where they went to school, kind of like they wished they went somewhere else. I think when people spend so much time and money going to school that they should be proud of all that effort and massive student loan debt. Although degrees are a dime a dozen nowadays people should be proud of ANY post-secondary edumacation. It's a big accomplishment.

The SLC is a great addition to the school that's for sure now that I've checked it out in person :)

The Ryerson grads I know, and in my case that's particularly from the Urban Planning program and the Architecture program (as is probably the case with a number of Urban Toronto readers), are not ashamed of their post-secondary schooling. But that shouldn't stop you from condescending to them... oh snap, it didn't.

The Ryerson grads I know, and in my case that's particularly from the Urban Planning program and the Architecture program (as is probably the case with a number of Urban Toronto readers), are not ashamed of their post-secondary schooling. But that shouldn't stop you from condescending to them... oh snap, it didn't.

Ah well, I am sure the U of T experience is an exemplar right now in any event.

AoD

Well in that particular case, Ryerson's Planning program is actually one of the most reputable in the country.

I had a chance to go up the steps but was unable to get inside (doors were locked). I was surprised to see some crumbled concrete along the exterior staircase and was wondering if anyone has a comprehensive opinion on the build quality of the interior. I know some items aren't completed yet but what about those areas that are finished. What's the build quality like?

Last edited:
Rather than causing all of our browsers to grind to a halt for 5 minutes by directly attaching 200 full size blurry cellphone images, I think a link to your 500px gallery would be sufficient.

Also, some of kram's pictures are not of the SLC. These include the pictures of the Library Building, Podium Building and Keer Hall.

Rather than causing all of our browsers to grind to a halt for 5 minutes by directly attaching 200 full size blurry cellphone images, I think a link to your 500px gallery would be sufficient.

At least he had a history of posting photos on UT, I think we can all be a bit appreciative of that.

AoD

Back