Toronto Ryerson Student Learning Centre | 50.59m | 8s | Ryerson University | Zeidler

Uh, so what's your point? We should stop building retail because we enough?

That we don't need to cram every single space on Yonge with retail. This complex is surrounded by it and that isn't going to change.

The retail units in this project are sufficient.

Please don't be one of those Jane Jacobs 101 experts who miss all nuance of good planning policy and insist that good street life requires every single meter of sidewalk frontage on the street / in the city to be a retail unit. There are many effective and creative ways to create safe, well-used streets. Retail and entertainment is just one way, and even therein, there is a reasonable and sustainable quantity to achieve on each street.

Thank God this project is primarily institutional and not a "retail/restaurant/entertainment complex".

Last edited:
That we don't need to cram every single space on Yonge with retail. This complex is surrounded by it and that isn't going to change.

The retail units in this project are sufficient.

Please don't be one of those Jane Jacobs 101 experts who miss all nuance of good planning policy and insist that good street life requires every single meter of sidewalk frontage on the street / in the city to be a retail unit. There are many effective and creative ways to create safe, well-used streets. Retail and entertainment is just one way, and even therein, there is a reasonable and sustainable quantity to achieve on each street.

Thank God this project is primarily institutional and not a "retail/restaurant/entertainment complex".

Yonge-Dundas Square is our Shibuya Crossing or Times Square. This is perfect place to put "retail/restaurant/entertainment complex" I guess you would rather have a ground floor more of a dead-zone, like something you would see in the suburbs.

It would be interesting if Ryerson was to use the retail space that has been designed into the building as an incubator for student business. Ryerson grads in say the first four years after graduation could submit proposals into competition to acquire discount space for new businesses in a prime location on Yonge St. Ryerson has its business school, and its fashion marketing program, probably other courses where some grads would be entreprenuerial and hungry for the opportunity. It might bring more dynamism and spirit to that section of the building than the same collection of chain drugstores, quick eats and coffee shops found up the street or around the corner.

Last edited:
It would be interesting if Ryerson was to use the retail space that has been designed into the building as an incubator for student business. Ryerson grads in say the first four years after graduation could submit proposals into competition to acquire discount space for new businesses in a prime location on Yonge St. Ryerson has its business school, and its fashion marketing program, probably other courses where some grads would be entreprenuerial and hungry for the opportunity. It might bring more dynamism and spirit to that section of the building than the same collection of chain drugstores, quick eats and coffee shops found up the street or around the corner.

That's actually a pretty neat idea! In any case, the reason behind the reduction in retail space has already been established.

AoD

To be honest, I feel that maybe a student led business or at least businesses run by an alumni as retail tenants in the SLC in the future is not out of the question. Salad King was a business concept started up by a couple Ryerson students, wasn't it? (I am on my phone so haven't bothered to Google or fact check that, my apologies.)

I guess I have different tastes than the majority here ... I find the interior furnishings appallingly generic and the colours lacking in punch. What is missing is design warmth--wood for example--and focus--looks like a boring 905 office committee chose the colours, arrangement, and models.

Don't most students buy stuff online these days, so yeah, no need for retail here. Although a cool student run cafe would be a nice touch.

Like the ROMbarn, I sense the Rye High Crystal Palace ran out of funds after taking care of the exterior bling.

Don't most students buy stuff online these days, so yeah, no need for retail here.

There's no relation between those two things. The retail in this building along Yonge Street will serve big numbers of people, and by sheer numbers, students are probably a minority of those using the retail on the strip.

I took over 200 photos of the place, it's just stunning. I wasn't sure about the exposed concrete look at first, but having gone through each floor, I think it really works.

Ryerson Student Learning Centre by Marcanadian, on Flickr

Starbucks:

Student Learning Centre by Marcanadian, on Flickr

More Scandinavian architecture please!

Beautiful photos of a beautiful buildings. Thanks.

Why do some of the blue panels (inside the building) have black cutouts? Are those permanent?

Back