Toronto Royal Ontario Museum | ?m | ?s | Daniel Libeskind

TORONTO ON M5S 2C6

Ward 20: Trinity-Spadina

Application#: 16 214548 BLD 00 BA Issued Date: Oct 27, 2016

Project: Museum Multiple Projects

Description: Proposal to construct vestibule & canopy at Bloor St Entrance, extension of terrace at northwest corner, and landscaping/new benches along Bloor St and Queen's Park. ROM.

Guess they went with the lie instead of "no comment" or "please wait for our announcement" with @Ramako :

AoD

Just to clarify before we throw out allegations of lying, from what I recall the person I spoke to said it's "probably" for that reason, so it's very likely it was just a front line customer service person that didn't really know. It's my error for not making that clear earlier.

Just to clarify before we throw out allegations of lying, from what I recall the person I spoke to said it's "probably" for that reason, so it's very likely it was just a front line customer service person that didn't really know. It's my error for not making that clear earlier.

Ah, thanks for the additional info - yeah the probably made all the difference in interpretation.

AoD

Sorry for poor phone quality shot I was in a hurry.

IMG_0821.JPG
IMG_0820.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0820.JPG
    IMG_0820.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 389
  • IMG_0821.JPG
    IMG_0821.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 453
TORONTO ON M5S 2C6

Ward 20: Trinity-Spadina

Application#: 16 214548 BLD 00 BA Issued Date: Oct 27, 2016

Project: Museum Multiple Projects

Description: Proposal to construct vestibule & canopy at Bloor St Entrance, extension of terrace at northwest corner, and landscaping/new benches along Bloor St and Queen's Park. ROM.

Are you serious? This is why I could never handle being an architect. People inevitably come along and F up my vision. The ROM Crystal is built at an angle that protects visitors from rain without adding an unsightly canopy in front of the building.

In addition, the atrium is massive, precisely to accommodate large groups without making them wait outside. This was all considered when designing the new ROM entrance.

Last edited:
Architectural "visions" sometimes don't hold up to the rigors of real life and will need to be adjusted.

And sometimes they plain just don't work.

"Vous savez, c'est la vie qui a raison, l'architecte qui a tort."

- Literally Le Courbusier

The Blue Whale exhibit is open: https://www.rom.on.ca/en/blue-whale

It's temporary though; it ends on September 4, then it's going to visit other museums around the world. It is among the few major travelling exhibits that uses only ROM property. The AMNH is on the list that may host the exhibit later on; their blue whale is a replica.

You can actually see the canopy in this drawing. It was missed because it's hidden by the trees. Hopefully the trees remain in the finished plaza redesign.

rom-3-jpg.42151

Update: the whole area is fenced off. Looks like the entire Bloor forecourt is starting construction.

What I find odd is how they're removing the crystal's window framing for this. Maybe they're integrating the canopy into the building's design after all. A jagged canopy that extended out from the existing window frames would look pretty cool.

Last edited:

Back