Toronto Royal Ontario Museum | ?m | ?s | Daniel Libeskind

... I still don't see the panels. But I'm patient. 8o

What I do see is the concrete bunker on the south side, that they decided to keep. It's a shame, the ROM would have been a masterpiece 100% with the classic mixing in with the futuristic.. but we still have that 80's mistake scarring the whole thing.

I hope that once this phase of construction is finished, they continue forward and announce a phase III, a south crystal for the curatorial department of the ROM, labs, storage, etc.

I hope you're really patient MetroMan! They still have many millions to raise to pay for this phase, and it will be sometime mid-2008 before all of the galleries are installed or reinstalled in the crystal and the historic wings.

With 'donor fatigue' settling in here at the moment, I'll be surprised to see a move to further expand again for several years. The last stab at further expansion - the dreaded condo - was meant to raise money for the current phase, not to add to the fundraising requirements.

Those of you who are members of the ROM's Friends of Ancient Egypt group will be able to see the recently-acquired Mummy or Coffin Board before it is put on display, at the lecture on January 31st.

interchange, I know.. it's too bad about the south wing. Now we can understand why they canceled the construction of that crystal since in retrospect we can see that they can barely afford the one being built.

However, I wouldn't put any other options off the table yet. A deal with UofT for an archeology/history department with access to the ROM's pieces and the construction of class rooms would probably be interesting to levels of Govt' and the University alike.
Something exciting could be built on that wing and offer something to both UofT and the ROM.

As much as a condo makes funding easy, I don't think one will ever be built there if the community (including myself) has anything to say about it.

Charles Trick Currelly started a small museum at Victoria College in 1907 to house the archaeological finds he had picked up on his travels in Egypt and Crete. When the ROM was founded in 1912 Currelly became the first director, and his collection formed the basis of the ROM's archaeology collection, as did other collections drawn from the University. The University was closely involved in running the Museum until the '50's.

Here's a picture from yesterday... looks like grey paint is being added on the western side.

CloseUp2.jpg

nicetommy:

I think the "bare" sections were the ones that haven't had the supporting studs installed yet.

AoD

I'm sure the weather has been a blessing for those guys hanging off the sides.

and to me as well. (but only if a freak hurricane doesn't come around the bend tomorrow to clean us all up here in toronto.)

National Post

Link to article

ROM asks city to waive fee for Crystal overhang
$2,400 Annually

Lisa Varano
National Post

Friday, January 05, 2007

The Royal Ontario Museum has asked the city to waive its $2,400 annual rent on the piece of the sky above Bloor Street sliced by architect Daniel Libeskind's famed Crystal.

The ROM has paid the fee three times, beginning in 2004, for the Crystal's encroachment over the Bloor sidewalk. The centrepiece of the Renaissance ROM renewal project, the Crystal extends about four metres, 24 metres up, according to a city report.

The ROM decided to ask for the waiver in writing in September because informal requests had been unsuccessful, said chief operating officer Meg Beckel.

"We felt that a $2,400-a-year charge was unreasonable given all that the ROM is giving back to the city as a result of the Renaissance ROM project," Ms. Beckel said.

The Michael Lee-Chin Crystal will open in June. Mr. Libeskind, known for designing the Jewish Museum Berlin and the Freedom Tower for the former site of the World Trade Center in New York, was chosen to design a landmark building for the ROM in 2002.

He famously sketched the jutting lines of the Crystal on a napkin; the ROM now mischievously offers reproduction napkins with the design in its gift shop.

ROM has applied for the fee to be waived and the request is now before the city's legal team.

Angie Antoniou, manager of right-of-way management for the city, said a city bylaw requires fees for encroachment into public space. The ROM fee is "based on the market value assessment" of the public space the Crystal occupies, she said.

Other institutions have had to pay for encroachment, said Ms. Antoniou. The most recent example is a footbridge at Ryerson University. A footbridge connecting the Eaton Centre to the Bay Centre is also subject to an encroachment fee.

Ms. Antoniou said she does not know of any case in which a request for an encroachment fee to be waived was made.

She said the city's lawyers are examining the ROM's request, but could not say when the museum will get its answer.

"It shouldn't take long," she said. "It depends on the nature of the request and the nature of the response that they have to provide us."

David J. Lieberman, who teaches urban design at the University of Toronto's faculty of architecture and is a practising architect, said encroachment charges are very common.

He said fees of this kind could be lifted as a gesture to all public institutions, but the Crystal fee should not be waived as an exclusive favour to the ROM.

"It demonstrates a fairly low cost way in which the city can be very supportive of the public institutions, but I would say equally," he said. "It would be very generous and, I think, responsible of the city."

However, Professor Scott Thomas Sorli, an expert in art gallery architecture at the University of Toronto, said everyone, including ROM, should pay for encroachment.

"Any institution who wishes to build into that public space of the street is, in a sense, antiurban," he said. "The architecture could have been done within the footprint of the ROM itself, as opposed to cantilevering over the street."

Toronto adopted the Culture Plan for the Creative City in 2003 to promote economic development over 10 years. City councillors decided to invest in culture to create economic growth and make Toronto an international cultural capital.

Has this writer done much research before writing this article? The Freedom Tower is now more SOM than Libeskind's original design, and I've never really heard anybody call The Bay Queen Street the "Bay Centre".

Sorry for going off topic!

They're piddling about over $2,400 a year while their construction project is going over-budget by millions?

It was crazy on Friday night - so many people lined up to see Italian Arts and Design before it closes.

At the IA+D opening, Thorsell ought to have stood in some balcony-type location addressing the crowds, jaw jutting out like Mussolini, etc

Back