Toronto Royal Ontario Museum | ?m | ?s | Daniel Libeskind

A couple of weeks ago I noticed they have started rotating their large collection of Japanese screens and paintings, putting away some of those displayed when the gallery first opened so they can "rest" in darkness.

I kinda like the white panels so I hope the aluminum siding gets lost en route from Germany.

I think they've just started installing the final cladding.

AoD

Where did you seem them installing it?

When I walked by a few days ago I saw skids of something that looked like the cladding, but I didn't want to mention it because there've been so many false calls

so the white panels are not the final cladding? That is interesting. I was wondering how those were going to age... i.e. get very dirty and weathered very quickly.

I am worried the white panels will look like First Canadian Place in a few years. I am not sure this is heretical but from the webcam shot this implementation does look quite as elegant as in the renderings...but from other views it looks good.

that is good news...so it will have that silvery look after all? I am very happy about that.

I passed the site on saturday. While I didn't see any evidence of final cladding they were certainly working full steam ahead. Maybe a dozen guys working on the exterior putting in large edge flashing and finalizing the insulation layer.

Ran into Darkstar and SimplyDan in the ROM on Saturday afternoon. They made the excellent point that admission should be free all the time.

... that would be nice, but the ROM already has a hard time funding itself, it definitely needs to charge a fee. I think that a Free Friday night is sufficient. It allows people who can't afford to pay to attend, while regular museum goers pay the fee to go at any other time.

If you're going out of your way to go on a Friday evening, then you must be hard on cash and deserve to go for free.

That said, it would be nice to have an equivalent of Washington in Canada. In D.C. all museums are free. I'm assuming they're fully funded by the US gov. Perhaps Ottawa's museums should all be funded by our federal government in an attempt to draw tourism to the city and afford all Canadians the chance to learn about Canadian history.

Friday nights at the ROM are no longer free. Now you have to pay $5 to get in.

Back