Toronto Royal Ontario Museum | ?m | ?s | Daniel Libeskind

Both the 1930s building and the Crystal are landmark buildings that I'd prefer not to be obscured by trees.

Hello...this is Toronto. We show renderings with mature trees.....then plant 5 footers. And they will die before they reach the point that they obscure anything. Need any evidence...look no further than that Bloor St "revitalization". stupids

Perhaps they should start by re-cladding the crystal with the materials proposed before The Cheapening struck.

Hello...this is Toronto. We show renderings with mature trees.....then plant 5 footers. And they will die before they reach the point that they obscure anything. Need any evidence...look no further than that Bloor St "revitalization". stupids

We're seeing tree planting done right with Silva Cells and watering in some areas like the waterfront. Bloor Street would have great trees today if they hadn't chosen London Planes as the species. I think the ROM will make the investment in proper tree planting, but they shouldn't obscure their landmark property with trees.

Wow, I wasn't expecting that much, that is awesome! Love all the new trees and dinosaur at the corner there is just great. The kid in me is going to want to walk under that all summer long.

We're seeing tree planting done right with Silva Cells and watering in some areas like the waterfront. Bloor Street would have great trees today if they hadn't chosen London Planes as the species. I think the ROM will make the investment in proper tree planting, but they shouldn't obscure their landmark property with trees.

That is a concern of mine too. Trees wouldn't necessarily be bad but in a context such as this they should be of an appropriate size and of an appropriate species that can be kept pruned and extremely well maintained, in other words a very formal 'French' style, which Toronto just doesn't have in its landscape vocabulary (not that i'm aware of at least).

*the dino is absolutely awesome though!!... Come on, it should have some shopping bags in its hands though!

How long would it take for trees of those species take to grow to the height portrayed? 25 years?

The trees at Corus Quay have grown beautifully, and pretty quickly. Planting them in silva cells seems to have done the trick. That, and I am assuming that they don't have to deal with much if any road salt down there (but does anyone know if the water's edge promenade is salted in the winter?).

So, so awesome. I hope this goes ahead.

The trees planted next to the Varsity Stadium are a bellwether for trees planted at the ROM, since both are on southside of Bloor (although the Varsity ones would definitely have received more light than these will).

In any case, trees were planted in 2009 and at the end of last summer they were starting to provide a consistent canopy at the corner of Devonshire at and the bottom of Bedford Road. I bet in a year or two they will look like the trees in this render.

So I am saying is, I bet that it will take about almost a decade for the trees to look like that outside the ROM.

The trees at Corus Quay have grown beautifully, and pretty quickly. Planting them in silva cells seems to have done the trick. That, and I am assuming that they don't have to deal with much if any road salt down there (but does anyone know if the water's edge promenade is salted in the winter?).

It is plowed, but doesn't seem to be salted.

So, so awesome. I hope this goes ahead.

The trees planted next to the Varsity Stadium are a bellwether for trees planted at the ROM, since both are on southside of Bloor (although the Varsity ones would definitely have received more light than these will).

In any case, trees were planted in 2009 and at the end of last summer they were starting to provide a consistent canopy at the corner of Devonshire at and the bottom of Bedford Road. I bet in a year or two they will look like the trees in this render.

So I am saying is, I bet that it will take about almost a decade for the trees to look like that outside the ROM.

But were the Varsity trees planted in silva cells?

I love the Avenue Road side and I'm ambivalent about the planters around the entrance. (It's really that hard to find the door? Really?) The trees on Bloor would comprehensively mask the Crystal, though. For those of us (maybe I'm a group of one...) who really like the dramatic look of the Crystal, covering it up would be a real shame.

Coming west on Bloor and suddenly seeing the massive Crystal always elicited a cheer from the girls. We'd then sweep south past the museum to come back up by Varsity to park, and walk through Philosopher's or past the stadium if someone was running/playing soccer, then back into the museum. The 'arrival' was part of the treat of a day at the ROM for my two.

Back