Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

When was the Astrodome demolished? I read it was still standing in a fairly recent article.

Turns out that only parts of it were demolished that were getting unstable. They used explosives. That’s not an option in the middle of downtown Toronto. A SkyDome demolition would be very long and laborious. And very loud.

There has not been a concert of any significance at the Rogers Centre in years. Once Scotiabank Arena opened they all went there and into the smaller venues like the Danforth Music Hall, Massey Hall and even BMO Field.

Rogers Centre is actually a horrible venue for concerts because of the stadiums geometry.

Stadium Concerts are going the way of the dodo. Scotiabank can handle it without issue.

There was a massive Shawn Mendes concert there last summer.

Wow, those views from the island would be something else as a baseball park backdrop. Could be the most amazing outfield view in MLB.

Isn't the contract for Billy Bishop supposed to run out soon and the city is supposed to reclaim that land? I remember reading something about that. I like the idea of a new stadium there and a new park and entertainment district. They should just hold out at Skydome until then.

Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift (back to back nights), Zac Brown Band, The Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Metallica and U2 have all played there since 2017.

BMO Field has held precisely one concert - Genesis - since it was built. And that was the year it opened in 2007.

Astrodome would've been demolished by explosive in the middle of a suburban car park.

All the CityPlace glass towers, tightly packed around the dome would instantly shatter. This is the reason given by Rogers that it would cost too much to demolish which is why they've been renovating it instead.

A SkyDome demolition would have to happen by hydraulic demolition hammers which could only run during the day and would take years. Nobody would accept that, even in daytime. It'd be a political nightmare. SkyDome is protected by CityPlace. This concrete bunker will be with us for decades.

If the Jays want to play somewhere else, the SkyDome can be converted into a convention centre which, coincidentally we're going to need as the MTCC is destined to be replaced. Replace the seating rings with convention rooms and amphitheatres and amenities like restaurants and hotel rooms, while the field with the seats removed could remain largely untouched as a showroom floor. Whether there'd be a need for movable roof is up to thinking of creative summer uses or it can be replaced with a fixed glass skylight.

The astrodome wasn't demolished at all- they just blew-up the exterior ramps. The stadium is right next to a newer one so a major implosion would be very tricky. They may have to dismantle much of it as they did with Yankee Stadium- the latter itself sat very close to some residential buildings. Again the demo was reportedly $20-22M. I'm not suggesting at all that the Rogers Centre is going to be an easy demolition btw and I personally do see value in extending its life another 10-15yrs if the organization fits the bill. That all said I do believe they are very intent on going ahead with something big, which is one of the reasons why they brought in Shapiro. This is not out of the blue and has been in the planning for years.

I can see the Rogers Centre being replaced with additional convention space. After all, the annual Auto Show used the stadium as additional convention space.

It would be excellent, not only for the Auto Show, but for other major annual conventions like Fan Expo Canada and the post-secondary school conventions as well.

I really don't see how the island site would logistically work. All the attendees, teams, stadium staff, concession deliveries, etc. moving to and from in relatively short bursts, all through the tunnel. Emergency services (the airport has a fire service that I assume meets TC standards). Is the owner/city willing to continue to fund that to a level to match the number of persons potentially on-site, to meet municipal and insurance safety standards?

What about the Exhibition grounds (haven't been there for years). I really think it's days are numbered.

Turns out that only parts of it were demolished that were getting unstable. They used explosives. That’s not an option in the middle of downtown Toronto. A SkyDome demolition would be very long and laborious. And very loud.
Interesting to hear. It's gonna be quite a feat for Rogers to tear this one down and I look forward to seeing just how complex it will be.

I would like to give props to the City of Toronto in all this, who allowed all those horrific CityPlace condos to be built right around the Rogers Centre which is now making replacing the venue infinitely times more difficult than it needed to be, had City Planning actually had the capability to properly plan back in the day:

1606692455310.png

All the CityPlace glass towers, tightly packed around the dome would instantly shatter. This is the reason given by Rogers that it would cost too much to demolish which is why they've been renovating it instead.

I wonder if they could do a controlled demolition if a shelter was built around it while doing so. Use enough C4 to put a crater where the stadium is.

I like the idea of building a replacement where Billy Bishop is. The downtown airport is a blight, and not really needed with decent rail access to Pearson.

Also like the idea of using the Rogers Centre site as a convention centre. Not incompatible with office or condo towers, either, they could be built above.

It would be a good location, and the earlier point about the orientation of the field in the Portlands is a good one. However I'm not sure funneling 30,000- 40,000 people through the tunnel is going to work well. There would need to be better connectivity. I do like the idea though but I really doubt the airport is going anywhere and see it more likely the dome is demolished. Undoubtedly expensive but not prohibitive. I believe the estimate for the Astrodome was a maximum of 78M- which was considered by some as an inflated figure.
A drawbridge could be built, which would provide an alternative to the tunnel, while still accommodating ships that need to access the inner harbour.

Excellent point about the Port Lands. I hadn't taken into consideration the field orientation.

I'm also with you on Billy Bishop, however unlikely it would be. Besides the spectacular view, it also already has a baseball history, being home to Hanlan's Point Stadium, and where Babe Ruth hit his first major league home run.

Technically, Hanlan's Point Stadium stood on the mainland, across from Centre Island, facing in the opposite direction.

Isn't the contract for Billy Bishop supposed to run out soon and the city is supposed to reclaim that land? I remember reading something about that. I like the idea of a new stadium there and a new park and entertainment district. They should just hold out at Skydome until then.

If you or anyone can dig up that information, I'd love to read that. If true, that would make the prospect of a stadium on the island more feasible.

Last edited:

Back