Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

It's great to see that they're reno'ing here, but I gotta say...I was at the Dome this past fall, as I had the good fortune of catching one of the playoff games. It's dark, cavernous, and entirely un-intimate.

I was there dozens of times as a kid, but coming back as an adult, especially with its roof closed, I was pretty nonplussed.

I agree. The difference between an open and closed dome is quite literally night and day. Regardless, upgrading a stadium such as this is a huge undertaking and must be taken one step at a time. The experience today is far better than what I remember as a kid in the 1990's to early 2000's with the Flight Deck, improved concourses, video screens and less visible concrete (indoors at least). Aesthetically, there is still much more to be done but progress is still progress.

All that said, having visited other MLB parks, the on-field product matters much more than the stadium itself. No amount of amenities or intimacy could improve the experience of watching two mediocre Twins and White Sox teams duking it out on a cold-ass spring day in Chicago.

Some new signage is being installed where the scaffolding is in that first picture.

Also, along with the new leaf in the WestJet logo, Rogers now has 4K TV in their logo.

We're looking good for next weekend

https://twitter.com/sbrooksbaseball/status/714867043296616449

6XFoieG.png

MU5kdPt.png

C6xNRhs.jpg

5Rm010n.png

Looks pretty cool. The warning tracks still are not comprised of real dirt, correct?

that's correct - and there's no plans to change that

Holy cow it does. Wow. Also, that fake grass is the least fake-looking fake grass I think I've ever seen.

also, conforming with (i believe) every other major league park

Absolutely. The Jays were the last MLB team to use sliding pits. 2016 will also mark their first time playing on a dirt infield at home in their 40 year history, which is crazy when you think about it. Even the Expos played on a standard dirt infield (and grass) at Parc Jarry.

Back