Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

I got momentarily excited when I saw BlogTO reporting that Rogers was reverting the name of the stadium to SkyDome - I am embarrassed to say it took me almost a minute to realize that it's April Fools.

Absolutely. The Jays were the last MLB team to use sliding pits. 2016 will also mark their first time playing on a dirt infield at home in their 40 year history, which is crazy when you think about it. Even the Expos played on a standard dirt infield (and grass) at Parc Jarry.

Difference is Jarry Park was never multi-use, whereas this is the first year the Jays are playing in a stadium that doesn't convert to football every so often.

I got momentarily excited when I saw BlogTO reporting that Rogers was reverting the name of the stadium to SkyDome - I am embarrassed to say it took me almost a minute to realize that it's April Fools.

Too good to be true unfortunately.

Might be the last but hopefully it was done right, lots of complaints about Tropicana Fields infield with bunch of players saying its like playing on concrete
is that the base paths or the fake grass infield? Roger's Centre addressed the fake grass last year and, if anything, the criticism was that it was a bit soft and the ball was slow getting through the infield.

The "grass"/turf this year is the same as last year....the work now is creating the dirt cut outs.

The April Fools story was plausible given the revitalization of the franchise. They're giving fans what they want--a competitive team and an enhanced stadium. Why not change the name back to Skydome too?

There's undoubtedly a lot of value in the Rogers Centre name. The company's name is mentioned in every newspaper article and news show when the Blue Jays play. But Rogers makes billions of dollars. The name of the stadium doesn't mean much to their bottom line.

There's undoubtedly a lot of value in the Rogers Centre name. The company's name is mentioned in every newspaper article and news show when the Blue Jays play. But Rogers makes billions of dollars. The name of the stadium doesn't mean much to their bottom line.
Yet there are companies who make more money than Rogers who don't own stadiums who pay other people a lot of money to have their name on stadiums. ;)

Might be the last but hopefully it was done right, lots of complaints about Tropicana Fields infield with bunch of players saying its like playing on concrete

When the RC staff researched the dirt infield project, they made sure NOT to repeat the same mistakes as Tropicana Field. The Trop's concrete was only dug out about 5 inches which causes the dryness and hardness of the dirt relative to other ballparks. RC staff dug out 12 inches to allow for proper irrigation of the dirt in order to avoid this problem.

is that the base paths or the fake grass infield? Roger's Centre addressed the fake grass last year and, if anything, the criticism was that it was a bit soft and the ball was slow getting through the infield.

The "grass"/turf this year is the same as last year....the work now is creating the dirt cut outs.
I was talking about the base paths and not the grass, the problem at Tropicana was that it was not dug deep enough and bunch of players have complained. "Translude 15" explains the issue better

Courtesy https://twitter.com/sbrooksbaseball

Field is pretty much ready to go for Friday. The infield dirt will get half an inch of soil conditioner before the Home Opener.

CfE_L0LUIAApo3m.jpg

CfE_L0KUAAASLJT.jpg

Yeah, that looks like a glorified Fenway. I was in Fenway last summer and it's an entirely different ball experience. I was then in the Dome in October for a playoff game and perhaps noticed how bleak it is given the stark contrast to my Fenway experience.

The problem is how dark it is. It feels like you're sitting in a warehouse. There must be some way to fix that...it's not the size per se.

The baseball players want to be able to actually see the baseball when it is hit high overhead. If they make the ceiling white, for example, the baseball might "disappear".

Maybe if they try some "blue" colouring for the ceiling?

Yeah, that looks like a glorified Fenway. I was in Fenway last summer and it's an entirely different ball experience. I was then in the Dome in October for a playoff game and perhaps noticed how bleak it is given the stark contrast to my Fenway experience.

The problem is how dark it is. It feels like you're sitting in a warehouse. There must be some way to fix that...it's not the size per se.

History be damned, Fenway is still a dumpy bandbox. I didn't realize every movie set in Boston had to have at least one scene take place there either.

Last edited:
History be damned, Fenway is still a dumpy bandbox. I didn't realize every movie set in Boston had to have at least one scene take place there either.

+1

People can criticize Rogers Centre all they want but Dodger Stadium??? Chavez ravine is regularly ranked in the top 10 (if not top 5) MLB Ballparks.

Back