Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

Interesting, does that mean the roof essentially remains in the open position during the baseball season?

Yes it remains open unless there is precipitation (rain/snow). AFAIK it remains open through the winter as well. In fact, if you use Google Earth Pro's historical photo feature you can see it is open on through most of the winter in the past.

Miller Park doesn't look terrible when it's closed because of the glass walls in the outfield. If the Rogers Centre could have a wall of glass in the outfield instead of seating and the hotel, it would look a whole lot better in there but that's where the roof sits when it's open so it can't work.

If they're going to go to the roof option, they should build it as an outdoor stadium that is meant to close and not as an indoor stadium that is meant to open. We'd get a ton more open weather days out of it and while it could get chilly in there, we still wouldn't have any rain delays or snow ppd's

Hm..

Has anyone considered the Crystal Cathedral of Baseball? Put up enough screening and you could have natural light 24/7

If we're talking about retro ballparks, let's reach back into our own history and go with a made-in-Toronto design.

Picture1.png

Miller Park doesn't look terrible when it's closed because of the glass walls in the outfield.

Eh, I dunno about that. While the windows are a slight improvement, it still has that big warehouse look and feel to it.

millerpark.jpg.jpe

So I think some kind of translucent roof, be it ETFE or whatever, is a must if the team decides to include a roof. If smaller, and less confined is what they're going for, a Miller Park style stadium seems to run counter to that.

the roof of miller park though could likely be scaled to smaller size as it pivots behind home plate and opens like a fan. With ETFE its requires less structure too so any roof wont have a warehouse feel to it.

Yeah I think if they wanted to build something roughly like Miller Park, they might as well just aim for a major dome renovation. That shot of the Miller Park interior doesn't look all that different from the Skydome, other than the windows (which would still be a great upgrade).

The twitter account MLB Cathedrals suggested replacing the Skydome with something like this new park being built in Japan. Wouldn't mind that!

Miller Park also uses grow lights to help with the grass turf. The Rogers Centre and Tropicana Field are the only two stadiums left that use artificial turf.

Miller Park also uses grow lights to help with the grass turf. The Rogers Centre and Tropicana Field are the only two stadiums left that use artificial turf.

There's a few- Arizona's and the brand new Texas Rangers ballpark called Globe Field have artificial turf as well. They use it primarily because of the dry weather in those two locations where grass is expensive and difficult to maintain. It's the latest generation of turf but seems to have its critics too. Here's a list of all the MLB stadiums and their surfaces- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_Major_League_Baseball_stadiums

Regarding Hokkaido, like the other stadiums, it would require the space (if put in the current location).

hokkaido-nippon-ham-fighters-ballpark-rendering.jpg

Honestly, I think the only way a new stadium could work there is if it were built without a roof.

If they find a location with the space, I like this proposed plan for a stadium in the event Portland got a baseball team.

Portland-Ballpark-Rendering-4-11-2.jpg

00003667832800-0652.jpg

5ec72a57-ec96-46de-8e33-7ece0e703a62-large16x9_PhotocourtesyPortlandDiamondProject.jpg

Back