Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

Modern roofed stadiums seem to have to be quite large to accommodate the sliding roof.

T-Mobile

Safeco_Field_satellite_view.png

Miller Park

4e8f262d69bedd1f7300000f

Minute Maid Park

Minutemaid%20Exterieur.jpg

Last edited:
I also don't think you could half construct a retractable roof stadium like the examples people use from St. Louis etc. Looking at the examples above, along with Globe-Life stadium, it doesn't seem like a retractable roof would fit anywhere on this plot of land.

I would be willing to forego the roof in favor of the amazing location though.

Last edited:
I also don't think you could half construct a retractable roof stadium like the examples people use from St. Louis etc. Looking at the examples above, along with Globe-Life stadium, it doesn't seem like a retractable roof would fit anywhere on this plot of land.

Doesn't the site already have a retractable roof stadium on it?

Look at all those pictures above, the way modern retractable roofs are done takes up way more space than the old dome design. All of those stadiums have like 30-40% additional footprint area in order to add the roof. The new Texas stadium (not pictured above) is even worse. Whereas on the Skydome the roof added almost nothing to the building foorprint. We don't have room for any of the stadiums in those pictures.

Look at all those pictures above, the way modern retractable roofs are done takes up way more space than the old dome design. All of those stadiums have like 30-40% additional footprint area in order to add the roof. The new Texas stadium (not pictured above) is even worse. Whereas on the Skydome the roof added almost nothing to the building foorprint. We don't have room for any of the stadiums in those pictures.
Depending on the design, it wouldn't be the hardest to have the roof when retracted extend over portions of Lake Shore or even the DVP.

As for construction phasing, one of the most interesting parts of the design of Safeco/T-Mobile in Seattle is at least superficially, different stands aren't one building but many buildings connected together and the roof is not integrated into the structure.

None of this to say it would be easy, remotely possible without missing at least a season, or that the land freed up would be significant enough to make it work financially, just that they are not surmountable problems.

Yea I think regardless of how feasible this is or isn't in terms of space, if they want to minimize time played in other locations, they would have to play the first season without a roof. And then add it in the off-season.

Miller Park ... built in 2001 .... looks a lot nicer than the concrete bunker of Rogers Center:

1607002780295.png

With its roof opened faceing the other way...

1607002901745.png

The outfield side is the unfortunate part. However replacing with that translucent stuff might reduce weight and allow a glass outfield wall. Miller Park also grows natural grass. It's likely this style of the roof the replacement stadium will have if they are going to try squeeze it in.

Here's Miller Park superimposed onto the SkyDome footprint. The roof and mechanical components are more compact than say Minute Maid, T-Mobile or Marlins Park. IMO, Miller Park's roof looks pretty horrendous and wouldn't be ideal from an aesthetic perspective.

Imagine facing this monstrosity coming in from the east: https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.0265...nqehUkw9yaXEt_-npQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e1.

Goodness gracious.

SkyDome - Miller Park.png

Back