Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

From what I heard the team engaged a large design firm to come up with new plans to revitalize the stadium. Two issues, the structure cannot be changed to create new openings, and the cost was insane. Beyond anything, they would want to spend on the building.

But it's coming back.

It's funny that the only statue in front of a ball park is of an old white guy who happened to own the team, yet didn't care for the Jays, or baseball in general? Meanwhile most of the people who actually made a mark and fondly remembered by fans are Latino or Black.

Funny, huh? I'm hoping one day we see a Jose Bautista "bat flip" statue. A Doc Halliday statue. Joe's homerun against the phillies statue. There's a lot to pick from.

A statue of Roberto Alomar spitting in John Hirshbeck's face would be a fitting gesture toward Rogers re their undignified renaming of the SkyDome.

Personally, I think the only players worthy of a statue outside of the Dome are Dave Stieb and Joe Carter. Alomar was probably the most God-gifted talent the Blue Jays organization has ever had (honourable mentions to Paul Molitor and Josh Donaldson), but his lack of humility and decency (namely, the incident I cited above) rubs me the wrong way. I would much rather honour Joe Carter. He is one of those guys that you can't help but fall in love with the second you meet or are introduced to him. The man is full of class and is one of the most extroverted, friendly and all-around good people I have ever witnessed in professional sports or elsewhere. I liken Alomar and Carter to Doug Gilmour and Wendel Clark. Gilmour was the more gifted, graceful athlete, but Clark was the heart and soul of the Leafs for a decade. He was such a clutch player and always gave his all whenever he stepped onto the ice. Watching him play got into your blood and filled you with a joy unlike anything you could ever imagine.

As for Joe Carter; he was no slouch in the statistics department. He always hit for poor average, but he was reliable for 30 home runs and 100 RBI each season. Alomar was a more complete player, but Carter undergirded those early 90s Jays teams with more than just his solid play. His presence was contagious and surely inspired his fellow teammates to be their best and to not acquiesce in the face of defeat or when hopes were diminished. What could possibly be more appropriate than a statue evoking Carter's legendary 1993 World Series, walk-off home run? Not only is that the most defining moment in Blue Jays history, it is probably the greatest in the entirety of Major League Baseball. I can't think of anything that can match it. Additionally, whatever the future holds for the Jays -- whether they win more World Series, down the road -- I can't imagine anything will ever parallel Carter's famous home run. It is a timeless event that will likely stand above all others in Jays' history in perpetuity. I think it is a no-brainer to depict this crucial moment in the team's history in a tangible way. It is a classic moment that will live on forever.

Here are some potential photos that a statue of him could be modeled after:

baseball-world-series-toronto-blue-jays-joe-carter-victorious-after-picture-id161461319

joe-carter-of-the-toronto-blue-jays-celebrates-after-hitting-a-walk-picture-id475629545

baseball-world-series-toronto-blue-jays-joe-carter-in-action-hitting-picture-id493420394

joe-carter-of-the-toronto-blue-jays-celebrates-his-home-run-during-picture-id55855408

sw11-carterjoe-05.jpg

AP Photo/Mark Duncan

Perhaps a depiction of him being hoisted up by his teammates and fist pumping the air, after he crossed home plate?

Last edited:
If renovations turn into smaller bite sized changes to bump up fan experience, what about jewel boxing the lower bowl stands - could it be done without replacing the stands - just the seats? or would it involve ripping out the moveable stands and replacing them entirely?

What do you mean by "jewel boxing?"
It refers to earlier parks, but for purposes here it would be that seats are oriented towards the pitchers mound, instead of perpendicular to the row in which they are situated. In experience, you seat more comfortably to watch the vast majority of the game. Right now the seats down the base line are set so that when they are rotated, they look towards the centre of a football field/soccer pitch, so further down the baselines the seats get less and less comfortable to watch a game in, not solely suffer from sightlines.

A statue of Roberto Alomar spitting in John Hirshbeck's face would be a fitting gesture toward Rogers re their undignified renaming of the SkyDome.

Personally, I think the only players worthy of a statue outside of the Dome are Dave Stieb and Joe Carter. Alomar was probably the most God-gifted talent the Blue Jays organization has ever had (honourable mentions to Paul Molitor and Josh Donaldson), but his lack of humility and decency (namely, the incident I cited above) rubs me the wrong way.

Wow... that's pretty harsh on Alomar especially considering he's the only HOF player wearing a Jays cap.
Not only that but Joe Carter's real-life persona vs. his on-field was a complete 180 he was generally considered to be a first class jack ass by most people close to the Jays at the time.

Only 4 Jays deserve consideration for a statue in order of preference imo:
1. Alomar
2. Doc
3. Carter
4. Bautista

Last edited:
Wow... that's pretty harsh on Alomar especially considering he's the only HOF player wearing a Jays cap.
Not only that but Joe Carter's real-life persona vs. his on-field was a complete 180 he was generally considered to be a first class jack ass by most people close to the Jays at the time.

Only 4 Jays deserve consideration for a statue in order of preference imo:
1. Alomar
2. Doc
3. Carter
4. Bautista
Where did you hear that about Carter? I don’t know if it is true (though it wouldn’t surprise me), but I remember hearing (back in the early 90s) that when Alomar was with the Jays, he used to invite girls that he dated back to his place at the SkyDome hotel and watch highlight reels of his with them.

Perhaps we should just skip over Carter and Alomar and go with Rob Butler, Darnell Coles or Junior Felix?

I think it's time to get over the Alomar incident. Alomar apologized, the umpire forgave him, and they became friends. He's still active with the team. I think he's as deserving a player as anyone else.

As for Carter, I haven't heard anything and I wonder if he's mistaking him with Dave Stieb, who I have heard was a prick.

I met Ed Sprague in a hotel bar a few years back, after a few beverages he didn't hold back his dislike for Cito Gaston. Ed had nothing positive to say about the guy. Which surprised me.

I think it's time to get over the Alomar incident. Alomar apologized, the umpire forgave him, and they became friends. He's still active with the team. I think he's as deserving a player as anyone else.

As for Carter, I haven't heard anything and I wonder if he's mistaking him with Dave Stieb, who I have heard was a prick.
I forgive Alomar (I was actually at that game), I just always found him cocky. Tony Fernandez is another player worth considering.

For contrast, Montreal's baseball group isn't asking for cash for the new stadium. Neither should Rogers.

Mayor Valérie Plante to meet Montreal baseball promoters Friday

Plante’s positive attitude toward the possibility of bringing back MLB is in contrast to her stance during the election campaign, when she said she wouldn’t spend taxpayers’ money on a new baseball stadium without consulting Montrealers first in a referendum.

Bronfman’s promise that promoters were looking for help but not cash from the city seems to be the reason for the mayor’s change of heart.

From today. I don't know how new this is, but I don't remember these planters. There are some improvements here. The wood does help soften the brutal concrete expanse, and hopefully flowers will grow here and these planters will be maintained. However, I think they could have designed these planters better to serve the dual purpose of sittable space. Most of the planters are too high, and other ledges in the area that have a sittable height have a bar that prevents sitting. It's interesting because the new wood planters up here are too high for sitting, and the new concrete ones down below by the CN tower pavilion are too low for sitting. There is a fair number of benches, but when I've been around for games, there is never enough seating. Here are a few photos of what I'm talking about. Overall, this area around the CN tower is an improvement over the past years, and I hope the salmon run fountain is fixed for good now.

20180405_155524.jpg
20180405_155528.jpg
20180405_155638.jpg
20180405_155746.jpg
20180405_155757.jpg
20180405_155901.jpg
20180405_155907.jpg
20180405_155928.jpg
20180405_155949.jpg
20180405_160008.jpg
20180405_160032.jpg

Attachments

• 20180405_155524.jpg
    20180405_155524.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 681
  • 20180405_155528.jpg
    20180405_155528.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 710
  • 20180405_155638.jpg
    20180405_155638.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 707
  • 20180405_155746.jpg
    20180405_155746.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 679
  • 20180405_155757.jpg
    20180405_155757.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 666
  • 20180405_155901.jpg
    20180405_155901.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 707
  • 20180405_155907.jpg
    20180405_155907.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 771
  • 20180405_155928.jpg
    20180405_155928.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 677
  • 20180405_155949.jpg
    20180405_155949.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 677
  • 20180405_160008.jpg
    20180405_160008.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 669
  • 20180405_160032.jpg
    20180405_160032.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 767

Nope not confusing him with Stieb who was another prick although he did sign a program for me during a game at Exhibition Stadium in 1983... wow really dating myself now. lol

Back