Toronto River City Condos Phase 3 | 99.66m | 29s | Urban Capital | Saucier + Perrotte

Love that concrete at the base. Will that be staying? Spent years hating on concrete calling it cold and sterile. Gradually dawned on me that is that it's pretty darn warm-looking (definitely relative to glass), and it can have amazing patterns along it. But whether it stays or goes this site really is one of the ultimate residential developments in the city.

Like at River City 1 and 2, where the concrete is board-formed (you can see the grain in it from the wood that was used to make the forms), those areas will stay raw and otherwise unclad.

From the rooftop of the Broadview Hotel yesterday.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 468
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 187
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 184
Podium glass + balcony finishes. (Taken early this evening).

RC3.1.jpg

RC3.2.jpg

RC3.3.jpg

RC3.4.jpg

RC3.5.jpg

RC3.6.jpg

RC3.7.jpg

RC3.8.jpg

RC3.9.jpg

Attachments

• RC3.1.jpg
    RC3.1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 375
  • RC3.2.jpg
    RC3.2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 386
  • RC3.3.jpg
    RC3.3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 451
  • RC3.4.jpg
    RC3.4.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 319
  • RC3.5.jpg
    RC3.5.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 327
  • RC3.6.jpg
    RC3.6.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 345
  • RC3.7.jpg
    RC3.7.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 336
  • RC3.8.jpg
    RC3.8.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 347
  • RC3.9.jpg
    RC3.9.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 342
This is probably a stupid question, but I don't know anything about construction. When they install podium glass, why do they use little tabs for a while? To keep the panes in place ? Are they glued on somehow and the sealant needs to harden? I would have thought they were attached by some mechanical fastener and there would be no need.

IMG_6257.JPG
IMG_6258.JPG
IMG_6260.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6257.JPG
    IMG_6257.JPG
    233.3 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_6258.JPG
    IMG_6258.JPG
    245.7 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_6260.JPG
    IMG_6260.JPG
    428.8 KB · Views: 287
This is probably a stupid question, but I don't know anything about construction. When they install podium glass, why do they use little tabs for a while? To keep the panes in place ? Are they glued on somehow and the sealant needs to harden? I would have thought they were attached by some mechanical fastener and there would be no need.

I'm no expert either, but I'm pretty sure the tabs remain in place, holding the glass pressed up against the sealant, then trimming is added ontop of them.

I'm no expert either, but I'm pretty sure the tabs remain in place, holding the glass pressed up against the sealant, then trimming is added ontop of them.

Since none if us seem to be experts I will say that this makes sense to me too!
In @skycandy's third shot from the post above, (which I've included at the top of this post) there are the clips which are turned horizontally on the vertical mullions. I don't know if those are going to be turn 90° and then covered by mullion caps like the ones which are already in line, or if all of those clips are removed when the mullion caps go on.

Somebody must be able to say definitively!

Back