Toronto Ripley's Aquarium of Canada | 13.11m | 2s | Ripley Entertainment | B+H

Sept 11:

vkBd0.jpg

What is the purpose of that steel rig attached to the CN Tower? It's such an eyesore and wasn't always there.

Photo by: SomeMidTowner
1o84Z.jpg

Last edited:
It's for the cleaners hanging platforms that were used to patch up the CN Tower. It was added later when the concrete began to need regular maintenance. Because there are buildings on the ground floor, they needed an even platform to land on. I agree it's an eye sore and I hope its eliminated when they redo the CN Tower entrance building. The CN Tower concrete needs to be evenly resurfaced. The patchwork is not a good look for Toronto's icon.

Thanks--I figured it had something to do with cement patchwork, but wasn't sure. Are those black lines at the base, scratches? The tower definitely needs to be restored.

When is the CN Tower entrance supposed to be revitalized?

I don't know the timeline but new buildings are going to be added to the SkyDome side of the CN Tower plaza, perhaps storefronts or restaurants. This is all part of the Aquarium project where the CN Tower wanted to reviltalize the base, monetizing its property and making it more of a daily use area used regularly by people -- not just visitors to the CN Tower.

I imagine that much time won't go by after the opening of the Aquarium for the next stages to follow.

for above photo... what are they building right in the forground here? i heard a retail podium of sorts but what will it look like?

I don't like all this building near the base of the CN Tower. There is basically no place left to view the tower from ground up, unobstructed.

I was at Taipei 101 and Tokyo Skytree a month ago and both facilities are essentially built on top of high-end malls. Tokyo Sky tree also has an aquarium at the base.

Thanks, a good place for n aquarium to be.

it is a pretty nice location... Another location i could have seen working is the entire Pier 27 lot.. considering it was pretty huge and is right by the water, it would have made a bigger statement in our typical skyline-from-the-islands view. (and would also open the door to some interesting designs)

the area itself is pretty dead and not so touristy as the CN Tower corridor, but an aquarium by the water is always cool :)

what does it matter where this aquarium is being built? By the water?? It certainly won't matter for the captive creatures it will jail...who gives a crap about views from the lake or island either...waste of time and money

Back