Toronto Ripley's Aquarium of Canada | 13.11m | 2s | Ripley Entertainment | B+H

The confinement of aquatic life to claustrophobic water tanks is savage and inhumane. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Down with the corporations!

WE ARE THE 99%

Haha...

Possibly banned after 3 posts? I wonder what the record is. :)

Zero, as a matter of fact.

And as an aside - please don't sign up for multiple accounts - it can be grounds for getting ALL of them banned.

AoD

The confinement of aquatic life to claustrophobic water tanks is savage and inhumane. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Down with the corporations!

WE ARE THE 99%

most fish has a memory of a few seconds. Putting them in the a 10 gallon tank or the pacific ocean won't make a difference to their "quality of life" whatsoever as long as they are provided with sufficient nutriets and water temperature is ideal. why do people keep sanctimonious pretending to "care" about this and that on things that don't matter?

An aquarium is needed in Toronto. Doesn't have to be bigger than the Georgia one (which is a lot smaller than I expected), but needs to be enjoyable. Hope it won't be as drab as the setting on CN tower and allow people to have fun in it.

Phase two will deal with the skywalk access - meaning there may be the possibility to have a publicly accessible walkway through the aquarium. I know that was an intention initially, but what is private cannot necessarily be dictated to by the city, or public.

An interesting tidbit here: the roof was intented to have glazing, but due to the danger of falling ice from the CN Tower, it had to be made from concrete tiles. Also, for those of you who are complaining there isnt enough glazing on the building, there are reasons why there isn't - algea growth being the main concern...but natural lighr would also influence the fish too much..not easy to control.

I went for a walk down Simcoe and around Roundhouse Park yesterday -- they're really going full bore on construction here. This is going to be a great addition to the tourist campus aspect of Bremner. From the ACC to Rogers, you could conceivably come to Toronto and never leave this strip, taking in a basketball or hockey game, staying at one of the hotels, checking out the aquarium and CN tower, catching a Jays game. If you've come to town for a convention (the auto show or some such), you could do that, too.

Of course, it's not an artistic attraction but rather a tourist attraction, but so's the CN Tower.

I went for a walk down Simcoe and around Roundhouse Park yesterday -- they're really going full bore on construction here. This is going to be a great addition to the tourist campus aspect of Bremner. From the ACC to Rogers, you could conceivably come to Toronto and never leave this strip, taking in a basketball or hockey game, staying at one of the hotels, checking out the aquarium and CN tower, catching a Jays game. If you've come to town for a convention (the auto show or some such), you could do that, too.

Of course, it's not an artistic attraction but rather a tourist attraction, but so's the CN Tower.

Don't forget the roundhouse park and museum for all those train aficionados, and Real Sports Bar, rated the best in North America.

March 20, 2012

It's hard to get a good ground-level shot of this thing. Especially when it's in evening shadow. Oh well.

March202012622.jpg

March202012625.jpg

March202012624.jpg

301 FRONT ST W
Site Plan Approval 12 154597 STE 20 SA Ward 20
- Tor & E.York Apr 16, 2012 --- --- --- Meistrich, Allison
(416) 392-7363
Revision to existing site plan agreement for changes to the exterior elevations, site details including gate and fencing work. "Phase 1 of CN Tower lands re development - for new entertainment complex containing 3 storey Ripleys Aquarium Phase 1 consists of easterly portion of lands and construction of southerly portion of 2 storey aquarium.

I'm curious why they decided to build this in two phases.

The first phase is about 100K square feet (same size of the one in Vancouver) and the second an additional 50K ... wouldn't it be much cheaper to build it all in one shot ?

I guess they're not sure how much demand there will be ?

I believe the retail space near the CN tower is completely independent.

Does anyone know if the fountain outside the CN tower has finally been fixed ?

Back