Toronto Ripley's Aquarium of Canada | 13.11m | 2s | Ripley Entertainment | B+H

But there isn't even a concrete foundation under the pipes? Why would they put crucial pipes under the building? I'm confused.

But there isn't even a concrete foundation under the pipes? Why would they put crucial pipes under the building? I'm confused.

I don't understand either. Maybe they are just pre-assembling them next to the actual building?

Geeze, now I'm really starting to think this could actually be on Par with the Georgia Aquarium o.o

Sorry to disappoint, but our aquarium will be a tiny goldfish to the Georgia Aquarium's whale.

Toronto 1.5 million gallons vs 8.5 million gallons Georgia
Toronto 135,000 square feet vs 550,000 square feet Georgia
Toronto 13,500 animals vs 120,000 animals Georgia

Nonetheless, Toronto will be quite respectable, but nowhere near on par with the world's biggest aquarium, and that's nothing to be upset about really. Ours will have 450 species, while Georgia's has 500. We'll just have less quantities of animals so we won't be missing much other than a colossal amount of water.

Last edited:
Those pipes are water filtration network and oxygen supplying to the aquarium animals.

It just seems weird that they would put them under the structure where there is going to be limited or no access to them in case of need for repair, etc.

It just seems weird that they would put them under the structure where there is going to be limited or no access to them in case of need for repair, etc.

They're just pipes. All of the sensitive equipment gets laid on top of the concrete once it is poured. They won't need access to the pipes once everything is up and running.

Yeah, the tops of all those pipes will stick out above the poured concrete floor, providing access as needed. No sense climbing over/under/around pipes in your control room if you can bury a lot of the connections and leave yourself a nicely organized space instead.

As for the aquarium itself, anyone I know with kids is very excited about this place. It doesn't have to be on par with Georgia Aquarium to be a large net benefit to locals and tourists combined. The place will be very busy.

Right now it looks like something from an Alberta oilfield

ripleyj31.jpg

Application: New Building Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON

Ward 20: Trinity-Spadina

Application#: 11 150535 BLD 01 NB Accepted Date: Feb 3, 2012

Project: Other New Building

Description: Revision to base permit to alter existing mezzanine level for use as a second floor level and alterations to layout of lower level exhibit area including supporting works Original Proposal:permit for construction of new Ripley's Aquarium - 1 storey above grade and 2 storeys below grade - 13m in height. Please see 09 189702 STE 20 OZ and 09 189714 STE 20 SA for Opa/Rezoning and Site Plan approval.

Picture of the model from that video from themeparkcanuck.com

Aquarium-Model.jpg

Huge missed opportunity not having an indoor path connection from the Skywalk. The City should've made it a requirement for this project.

Last edited:
The confinement of aquatic life to claustrophobic water tanks is savage and inhumane. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Down with the corporations!

WE ARE THE 99%

Back