Toronto Ripley's Aquarium of Canada | 13.11m | 2s | Ripley Entertainment | B+H

Absolutely love the design. Looks like stuff that other areas of the world have been getting. I just hope the interior will be as great.

I like it. It looks like the kind of goofy and inviting design that would make people want to step inside the aquarium. I still wish it wasn't Ripleys since I don't trust that brand but I guess no one else was going to step up to the plate so I'm going to hope for the best that they run it in a classy way.

Though likely unintentional, the entrance reminds me a bit of a humpback whale's mouth, wherein the glass represents the whale's baleen plates:

Ripleys2.jpg

stylized_baleen.jpg

whale_humpdaigsml.jpg

up%20close.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like it has potential.. just rather small for its context of super structures.

The east wall looks like it has been improved from before. That was my main concern with the original design, how it will look as MTCC"s next-door neighbour and to those travelling along Bremner from Union Station.

I like what I see too--- It would be even cooler if people could get on top of it- i.e if there was a public space on top of the new building - sort of Oslo Opera House - a big park at the foot of the CN would could be interesting, no?

Very interesting! I love the cladding and the west entrance is sharp.

I don't like the roofline from east side of the aquarium-- almost, but not quite. It gets a little bit too boxy and awkward. Though I guess it's part of the stealth-like style they were going for.

Overall it's pretty cool though. I hope the glass is a tasteful colour and that the Ripley's logos can be placed in the least intrusive manner possible.

Does the current big park at the foot interest you?

I like that there is a public space but the space itself kind of sucks -it's hard to access from Front street and not landscaped in any interesting way etc. It would be easier to access from the foot bridge next to the skydome- on top of the aquarium

The worst thing about this awkward looking Aquarium is the fact that it will ruin one of, if not the best, vantage points to observe the CN Tower from its graceful base to its tip.:mad: The land around the base of the CN Tower should be left as parkland.

Instead of building at the base of the CN Tower there should have been a competition with the Ontario Government offering for free a large parcel of land at Ontario Place to whichever company proposes to build the biggest and best aquarium.

The building itself looks good, as long as they don't put the giant Ripley's logo on the roof...
We don't need people in the observation deck and glass floor getting a view of a tacky tourist-trap-looking thing

Am I the only one who thinks it looks incredibly unsophisticated? It looks like shopping mall deconstructionism. Didn't everyone laugh at this when it was a gold-coloured baked potato entrant in the SLM North competition? I have a feeling everyone is going to be veeeeery disappointed by the design when this building becomes reality.

That being said, I think any aquarium is better than no aquarium. Bring on the octopi in their aluminum-clad home!

The worst thing about this awkward looking Aquarium is the fact that it will ruin one of, if not the best, vantage points to observe the CN Tower from its graceful base to its tip.:mad: The land around the base of the CN Tower should be left as parkland.

Instead of building at the base of the CN Tower there should have been a competition with the Ontario Government offering for free a large parcel of land at Ontario Place to whichever company proposes to build the biggest and best aquarium.

Ya, I think this would of been way better at Ontario place. It doesn't help that the logo kills the design.

Back