News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.1K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 804     0 

Toronto Ridiculous NIMBYism thread

For your next neighbourhood meeting, introducing NIMBINGO.

Screen shot 2016-03-23 at 1.52.40 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-03-23 at 1.52.40 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-03-23 at 1.52.40 PM.png
    206 KB · Views: 488
For the first time ever, I've thrown up my hands in defeat when dealing with the NIMBYs for the pavilion proposed for Humber Bay Park East.

Reasoning and facts mean nothing... There's no use arguing.

For the first time ever, I've thrown up my hands in defeat when dealing with the NIMBYs for the pavilion proposed for Humber Bay Park East.

Reasoning and facts mean nothing... There's no use arguing.
Is there some background on this pavilion? What are they proposing and what are they protesting?

See link.

Humber Bay Park Pavilion

The Pavilion in Humber Bay Park East is a proposal presented by the City to address increasing needs in the area and to complement or replace existing building facilities in the park.
The proposed facility is intended to:
  • provide interior gathering space that creates accessible social infrastructure, e.g. for community meetings;
  • complement and provide extended seasonal access for the existing and proposed uses of the park;
  • support a wide range of park users including families and seniors.
The public expressed concern over the idea of a new building in the park and indicated that there had not been any public consultation to inform the proposal. Based on feedback from the February 2016 initial public consultation, the timeframe for the Pavilion project will now be extended to accommodate additional public consultation through the Master Plan public consultation process.

Architectural design work on the Pavilion will not proceed until further study and public consultation has established the appropriate program, size and site for building within the park.

NEW Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page for more information.

Humber-Bay-Project-Site%20Map_nolegend.jpg

Oh come on, the squealing is louder than the chimes and announcements :)
I lived in an apt across from the water filtration plant on Queen St. East. Apt faced the back of the building and at night we could hear the squeal of the 501 as it went through the Neville Park loop. After a while I didn't hear it anymore.

Same situation with my current apt, except it's sirens from the nearby fire hall. My in-laws were staying over and complained about the noise. Again, I don't really hear it anymore, unless they turn down my street.

Mr S and I both have worked a lot of early, early morning shifts, so maybe our tolerance is higher than most.

He lives at Queen & Jones. The barns are below Lake Shore Blvd. separated by industry and several streets.

Leslie Barns.jpg

Must hate it when the birds start chirping in the morning.

Attachments

• Leslie Barns.jpg
    Leslie Barns.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 377
A neighbour from 3 houses away complained.

Demolishing $30,000 treehouse would be ‘stake through our family’s heart,’ says dad
Toronto father was told to tear it down following a complaint from a neighbour; Mayor Tory tweeted it looked nice but “safety & neighbourhood impacts have to be considered.”

See link.

His only other option is to find an legislation or regulation on the provincial or federal level to counteract the by-law. If he can prove that the city by-law exceeds their legislation or interferes with another law or regulation, the city will automatically fail.

That's a pretty sweet tree house. It should be a heritage property.

There's an easy solution for the father. He should say that it's a tree house for transexuals. The complaint will then be labeled a hate crime and a judge will order for its continuance.

Back