Toronto Richview Square | 103.75m | 31s | Trinity Group | B+H

The umpteenth re-submission. At what point will the city planners tell these clowns the glaringly obvious flaw that has failed to be addressed with every revision?

Eglinton West is going to shape up as being the most ill-conceived "developed" corridors in the entire city. Honestly, what in the planet are we trying to achieve here?

All within a 1 kilometer stretch we have:

1) A tower-in-a-park styled developments,
2) Townhouses backed away from Eglinton,
3) Townhomes that face Eglinton,
4) Single family houses backed away from Eglinton
5) Whatever you want to call this development

Then to top that all off, an underground LRT that will "tie it all together in a nice bow".

Eglinton West is going to shape up as being the most ill-conceived "developed" corridors in the entire city. Honestly, what in the planet are we trying to achieve here?

All within a 1 kilometer stretch we have:

1) A tower-in-a-park styled developments,
2) Townhouses backed away from Eglinton,
3) Townhomes that face Eglinton,
4) Single family houses backed away from Eglinton
5) Whatever you want to call this development

Then to top that all off, an underground LRT that will "tie it all together in a nice bow".

In other words, a dog's breakfast.

Another win for overpaid city planners, who had a blank slate to work with!

Last edited:
it's exactly what staff want to see here. Suburbanism masquerading as density
I’m really curious what TO Planning actually wants, what they consider to be successful projects, and what they think of this stretch of Eglinton.

I’m also really curious if they are interested in change. My impressions over the past few years are “No”: they’re risk-averse, and this attitude seems to come from the top, but...who knows.

City Planning’s biggest issue is their love of “fitting the context” as some sort of professional requirement. It limits the ability for cities to change as every new development has to be similar to what already exists.. which means nothing really changes.

City Planning’s biggest issue is their love of “fitting the context” as some sort of professional requirement. It limits the ability for cities to change as every new development has to be similar to what already exists.. which means nothing really changes.

Well now...............no one can say with a straight face that 'nothing really changes' in this City.

There is no other City in North America that changes more.

I'm all for giving Planning a hard time when they deserve it.

But that's a bridge too far.

Well now...............no one can say with a straight face that 'nothing really changes' in this City.

There is no other City in North America that changes more.

I'm all for giving Planning a hard time when they deserve it.

But that's a bridge too far.
Yea things change very rapidly. Because the city rarely gets its way haha.

If you look at projects where the city actually makes the decisions, it’s much less change.

I don't have a clue why Trinity didn't just take the original proposal to the Board...
When you sign any partnership agreement with CreateTO about land there is usually an explicit clause that says the proponent will not appeal to the OMB/TLAB, etc.

Pretty-sure it doesn't say anything about MZO's, which is why the former Councillor for this area (*now, I kid you not - a TCHC Board Member) is tweeting stuff about "MZO's are never justified" this weekend.

Final Report on this one to the April 19th meeting of EYCC.

Approval recommended.

Report here:

54 affordable rental units secured (25 year term).

1700m2 Public Park.

500m2 Community Agency Space

Comparative Stats. from the various iterations:

1617717493630.png

1617717522799.png

Hmm. A mixed bag IMO. Glad to see the park and increase in larger units. But, total number of units dropped, retail dropped.

(2018) "This report recommends City funding and incentives through the Open Door Affordable Housing Program for 72 new affordable rental homes at 4620 Eglinton Avenue West and 250 Wincott Drive (Richview Square Redevelopment)."

So, as expected/usual - with this FINAL report we lost 22 units (30%) of the Affordable-Rental units on this site next to BILLIONS in new underground transit...just to keep the neighbours (and local-councillor) happy.

Our volunteers will submit a Letter and depute to the Community Council on this item on April 19th.

4620 Eglinton Avenue West - CreateTO Map_Metrolinx_LRT_West_LEGEND.png

Back