Toronto Richmond Adelaide Centre: EY Tower | 188.05m | 40s | Oxford Properties | Kohn Pedersen Fox

This morning.

IMG_0404.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0404.JPG
    IMG_0404.JPG
    328.1 KB · Views: 1,595
July 8:

eyIMG_5848.JPG
eyIMG_5848_1.JPG

Attachments

• eyIMG_5848.JPG
    eyIMG_5848.JPG
    255.8 KB · Views: 1,233
  • eyIMG_5848_1.JPG
    eyIMG_5848_1.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 1,240
It's interesting how much more appealing the south facing exposure looks compared to the one facing City Hall. Yes, the angles and tapers are slightly different with slightly more intricate details on the south side, but the difference is night and day to my eyes. Perhaps that was the intention all along, to make the facade facing NPS more minimalistic, reflective, and respectful to the square, but considering the other somewhat lacklustre facades facing it (namely Sheraton, 390, and what is to become of the Simpson), I would have loved to see a similar effect flipped.

I do love this building, and I am happy for Toronto to have it (the restored details especially.) I just wish the glass/materials turned out more white like the renders.

It seems developers *know* we're sick of blue-ish/green-ish glass buildings, because the renders they approve are of a different color... but when things actually get built, we frequently end up with somewhat boring blue or green. Glad this is not right next to Bay Adelaide or Shangri La since they're a similar colour.

a beautiful tower but I wish it was 30m taller. with its current height it is lost in the density of financial district.

The sentiment has been expressed before. I was in downtown Toronto yesterday to check out the sites, and agree with you wholeheartedly. Even a couple of levels higher and this project would be a standout. Sometimes with height restrictions downtown it appears we're bent on missing the trees for the forest.

The sentiment has been expressed before. I was in downtown Toronto yesterday to check out the sites, and agree with you wholeheartedly. Even a couple of levels higher and this project would be a standout. Sometimes with height restrictions downtown it appears we're bent on missing the trees for the forest.

Was the height of this building reduced during the planning process?

Also, it's quite visible from NPS.

From my recollection, the developer chose to go with a slightly smaller scale for business reasons.

Right, that was my recollection as well. So, if we have recalled correctly, to a previous comment, "height restrictions downtown" had little to do with the placement of this particular building.

Or maybe the builder knew there would be problems with proposing a higher building due to shadowing issues, and decided to go with the present height.

I do love this building, and I am happy for Toronto to have it (the restored details especially.) I just wish the glass/materials turned out more white like the renders.

It seems developers *know* we're sick of blue-ish/green-ish glass buildings, because the renders they approve are of a different color... but when things actually get built, we frequently end up with somewhat boring blue or green. Glad this is not right next to Bay Adelaide or Shangri La since they're a similar colour.

At least this wasn't built at it's originally proposed height, which was 28 storeys.

Screen shot 2016-07-14 at 10.42.28 AM.png
Screen shot 2016-07-14 at 10.42.16 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-07-14 at 10.42.16 AM.png
    Screen shot 2016-07-14 at 10.42.16 AM.png
    436.7 KB · Views: 998
  • Screen shot 2016-07-14 at 10.42.28 AM.png
    Screen shot 2016-07-14 at 10.42.28 AM.png
    415.9 KB · Views: 1,025

Back