Toronto Richmond Adelaide Centre: EY Tower | 188.05m | 40s | Oxford Properties | Kohn Pedersen Fox

( the problem is, it looks like another Bay Adelaide Centre-ish mega-facadectomy, whereas they could have employed the old building as a module from which to build on the new, strengthening the cohesion of the whole - along the lines of the three intersecting cubes at 130 Adelaide West ).

While I love the design of the new component, I'm not a fan of the Concourse Building's integration. Honestly, at the rate we're going the entire pre-1940s city will be a facade one day. How long until we propose to build on top of Commerce Court North? Or stick a tower out of the top of the Royal York?

( the problem is, it looks like another Bay Adelaide Centre-ish mega-facadectomy, whereas they could have employed the old building as a module from which to build on the new, strengthening the cohesion of the whole - along the lines of the three intersecting cubes at 130 Adelaide West ).

And would this involve the same facade-monkeying on behalf of Class A Office Space floorplates as was proposed a decade ago (and was actually carried out at Bay-Adelaide)?

This is in Toronto?

OXFORD IS THE DEVELOPER?!

Wow.. I'm speechless. Architect is KPF, I remember reading about this development in one of their newsletters, unfortunately it isn't as tall as I thought it would be.
I'm speechless too. I love this style, and I'm glad to see it coming here. I really wish it was taller.

And would this involve the same facade-monkeying on behalf of Class A Office Space floorplates as was proposed a decade ago (and was actually carried out at Bay-Adelaide)?

I don't see why it should, since the renderings indicate that the floors of the new building align with the floors of the Concourse Building.

The floors of the Concourse Building are not up to today's office height standards though, so I imagine we will be getting exactly the monkeying that adma is talking about, like at Bay Adelaide.

Nice design but really go big or go home.
Why are all the office proposals in toronto so short in height. cant they partner with an organization and make it a mixed use project. For the area its in it too short and will be hidden by the other tower. This is the same issue with the proposed Canada Tower

The overall design is alright and certainly much better than the pitiful earlier attempt. I just don't see the facadectomy of one of our last pre-war office towers to be a price worth paying, especially with the necessary changes to floor height. I'd much rather see this building built on its own site than see the mutilation of an historic building combined with a severely compromised new design.

Agreed! I wish this was the one that Oxford was planning to build across from Harbour Square, and then they could build the boxy Harbour Square one in Sudbury.

I agree about the horrid facadectomy. I also agree that this building, without the old facade grafted in, would look good elsewhere.
Thumbs down.

Sadly, it looks like they are keeping the above ground parking garage on the east side of the property (the two other recent proposals eliminated the garage).

Further, and unlike the last proposal, the historically and artistically significant interior lobby of the Concourse building appears to have been eliminated. This is the true crime.

Back