Toronto Residences at The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto | 207.86m | 53s | Graywood | Kohn Pedersen Fox

Took this thurs afternoon. You can see the damage done. A number of broken windows (the blue panels) and scaffolding on the balcony, I guess to repair the edge damage. They got lucky it wasn't much worse.

4936130273_86cc0a2301_b.jpg

oh my ^^^. thanks for that photo. i didn't realize that the damage did in fact take quite a big toll on the roof. and you're right. it could have been much worse.

That's one of the (quite unavoidable) problems with the slanted roofs. things slide down... and keep on sliding. Especially ice (not the condos),

I think this building would be cool for an action sequence in a movie. i can just imagine 2 people running/gunning on the rooftops. and when 1 person gets shot, their poor body slides and falls onto the streets below.... SPLAT!
THAT would make my day :D!

That's one of the (quite unavoidable) problems with the slanted roofs. things slide down... and keep on sliding. Especially ice (not the condos),

Yikes. There's a thought.
Ice and snow from 57 storeys plummeting down onto Simcoe Park...and whomever may be walking there.
Even the CBC building which is only ten storeys has to close off sidewalks in the winter due to ice sliding ice.
I wonder if they have considered this.

Ice and snow from 57 storeys plummeting down onto Simcoe Park...and whomever may be walking there.
Even the CBC building which is only ten storeys has to close off sidewalks in the winter due to ice sliding ice.

haha!. but you have to consider its a "slanted roof", the top of the roof is about 57 stories, so by the time the ice reaches the air, it's about 54 stories up (if you want to be specific). but you have to also take in to consideration, the distance and angle of elevation in which the ice is falling from, not to mention the weight/density of the ice to properly calculate the speed/distance in which the ice will land on the ground :D!

I'm sure the designers have a way of counter-acting this problem. weather that be heating the roof, or creating some sort of barrier so that the ice is halted.

As for the ice and snow problem...

They have the barriers in place already and they have been there for weeks. There are three rows of them, though I am not sure if they are heated or just there to catch the sliding snow.

Look closely on these shots from Mo-tage back in the beginning of July and you can see them. They are like short stainless steel fences across the roof.

4778491866_7bd9c203de_b.jpg

4777858823_03d260ccbb_b.jpg

(Courtesy Mo-toge in post #2904 )

I heard a rumour that they were in fact filming the next Transformers movie....:p

haha! Just imagine one of these guys falling off the roof:

i'm telling you. it was a cover-up.

transformers.jpg

btw: transformers 3 was filming in/around Trump Tower Chicago. during my visit, i managed to catch on of the explosions they filmed. it was awesome.:D

There are buildings around town that have seasonal signs and sometimes permanent signs warming of falling snow and ice. The Canadian Blood Services building at Bay & College has new signs posted on the building, one example of what can be found. Three months to go - heads up!

I have ssen temporary signs warning of falling snow and ice from the CBC building along Wellington. There was also caution tape surrounding the hazard area that was right beside the temporary walkway between the building and the Ritz.

Hey, Thanks for the photographic evidence of actual physical barriers to keep the ice from sliding down.
"Death by icicle" is something no one wants in their obit.

Back