Toronto Residences at The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto | 207.86m | 53s | Graywood | Kohn Pedersen Fox

What amazing views!!! its like living in the CN tower 24/7 up there!!! 18 York looks really awesome in the view and i can't wait for it to go alongside Telus! They look perfect together! Its too bad the Trump won't be seen however :(...

Wow neat. Thanks for posting that. You couldn't get me in one of those elevators any amount of money. Okay well maybe a few million would do it... or not. I dunno. It would take a lot!

I was on one of those at the Sheraton Fallsview when they built their addition on top of the original building... at night... pretty impressive views but a little scary too. :)

You guys have enjoyed these so much... here are a few more views from the Ritz-Carlton that I found poking around in my collection:

First, a close-up stitch of the RBC Dexia tower:

RitzViewRBC.jpg

Then we slide on over southeastward to focus on construction at 18 York:

RitzView18York.jpg

And a turn to the west for a panoramic view:

RitzViewWest.jpg

More to the north we focus on Metro Hall, with Festival Tower under construction right behind it:

RitzViewMetroHall.jpg

A little more to the north we get a great view of OCAD and the AGO:

RitzViewOCADAGO.jpg

Fianlly, one more shot of the Ritz-Carlton from the ground, nestled between Simcoe Place and RBC Dexia:

RitzViewTowers.jpg

Awesome pictures!

I love the reflection of RBC Dexia's glass in the first shot. It would also be an oh-so-great perspective to see ICE rise. Will they let you visit regularly? ;)

Awesome pictures!

I love the reflection of RBC Dexia's glass in the first shot. It would also be an oh-so-great perspective to see ICE rise. Will they let you visit regularly? ;)

I cannot say what regularly might mean, but we have been invited back, yes.

Yep, sticks out like a sore thumb. ;)

The unifying effect of a similar colour palette works as an antidote:

One of the saving graces of our skyline is the unifying effect that the generally muted, shared colour palette of many of our towers has. Someone recently remarked, in one of these threads, on how it works to tie together the City Place condo buildings of various sizes and shapes. But it goes beyond that - the common language of grey/green cladding, also seen on a number of office buildings, goes a long way to bringing Ritz-Carlton-Gumbytower into the fold, for instance.

RBC's glass looks TOP NOTCH in the photos guys! its cool to see the mechanical stuff atop Simcoe.. it looks really cool! like a hong kong skyscraper! RBC must be freakin bright at night!

The unifying effect of a similar colour palette works as an antidote:

Not sure of I'd call it an antidote but I have to say the effect is pretty pleasing. Flying into Toronto on Porter gives you a ringside seat for all the recent waterfront development and instead of monotony, the effect is really breath taking.
The city looks fantastic from seat D on any Porter flight. Just book a flight for the view on arrival.

Had you drifted through the skies above our mostly red brick downtown in your Montgolfier a century and a half ago you would have enjoyed a similarly pleasing vista of a city built of continuities rather than discontinuities, no doubt.

... a city built of continuities rather than discontinuities, no doubt.
A good mix of the two is evident now, whereas I'm not sure that it would have been, a century and a half ago, or indeed through most of our history up to about the 1960s when the TD Centre poked above downtown (or maybe the new City Hall). Historic photos, many of which people have been good enough to post here, show a pleasant-looking but basically pretty unexciting city, prior to that. With few exceptions, there were no chances taken, and everything contributed to a generally pretty predictable set of streetscapes. Some might say it still is that way, but I think some of the shots from the top of the new Ritz show otherwise. There is just enough tension between old and new, and buildings reflecting some differences in style but also unifying themes such as the colours which some here seem to dislike. I think Toronto, by design or by happenstance, is developing its downtown with an excellent mix which generally makes up a pretty pleasing whole.

I suspect even the Ritz itself, derided in some quarters as Gumby, will contribute in a good way upon completion.

We are fortunate to live in this well planned city, and fortunate again to have so many good projects to comment on.

Thanks for these photos. They provide a darn good overview.

Last edited:
For what it's worth... every time I look at this shot from the top of the Ritz I think about a similar view over 40 years before from the top of the TD Tower when it was built in 1967.

Sorry to say Urban Shocker, floating over the rail lands and stockyards even 40 years ago in a hot air balloon was not a very contiguous sight. Manhattan had the forethought to put most of their rail lines underground with their subways. In my opinion, that was a more urban solution to rail travel.

RitzViewsIMG_2144.jpg

Attachments

• 1966TDW2.jpg
    1966TDW2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 249

Back