Toronto Residences at the RCMI Condos | 134.72m | 42s | Tribute | Zeidler

Personally, I was suggesting that this building represents a bad precedence for future development should it prove successful. People do drive but most residential developers rather not build parking.

Toronto "benefitted" from the wordwhile real estate crisis. The correction is still coming and the more severe it will be the longer things drag on. You honestly believe some crap condo selling for $600 a square foot will be worth $800 a square in a few years? Locals can't even afford the $600 a square foot.

I think it might be a good precedent. It might get more people to get rid of their cars and start walking, which can only be a good thing. I think that's the direction downtown Toronto is heading in, even though suburbanites are fighting it every step of the way. In the end, they will just have to adapt. Most people who move downtown get rid of there cars within about a year. (from what I've seen) Downtown Toronto is for pedestrians, not cars.

Actually, I think it will lead to the privatization of the parking business. While condo parking is private, what I mean is privately owned and operated multi storey parking garages like they have in Manhattan etc where condo/apartment residents park their cars. A way developers can make even more money, imho.

Exactly and I don't think it's a good thing. A downtown, 300 unit building doesn't need 300 spaces or, 200 spaces or, even 150 spaces but, the end result of six will have people looking elsewhere to park.

Just a few dozen spaces per bldg are necessary IMO. Car sharing services like Autoshare and Zip, along with other accessible rental cars downtown, have really reduced the need to own a car. I sold my car a year after moving to Toronto in 2002, and have since been intermodal, using ttc, Autoshare, walking, biking, and using a scooter. Haven't missed the car much at all.

I'm happy this thing is going through. It's simple economics really. People who need a car won't buy into this building, but lots of people don't drive or want to drive, and this building is perfect for that. Otherwise though, we should probably look at reducing the amount of parking required for downtown condos, slowly at first, anyway.

In my 11 storey downtown building only about 20% of the parking spots are used by tenants. The rest are rented by people who live close by that don't have parking, people who live in houses but don't want to park on the street and people who work in the neighbourhood and just use the lot during the day.

Application: Temporary Structures Status: Under Review

TORONTO M5G 1S5

Ward 20: Trinity-Spadina

Application#: 10 216361 TPS 00 TS Accepted Date: Jul 9, 2010

Project: Other Other(TS)

Description: Permit to construct new temporary construction office on North East corner of the site for the construction of 426 University Ave.

Good to hear, this is starting up! I am also very happy to see condos without vehicle spots, doesnt mean all condos have to be this way, but I am often frustrated with our city, (our north american culture in general as well) in how we have the car at the top of the hierachy of transport. The more of this the better if it slowely shifts our transport culture on to bikes, (a la bixi bike program in Montreal for example) subways and walking.

Hoarding going up today

rcmihoard.jpg

Toronto Star article:
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/art...pled-papers-found-in-century-old-time-capsule

Coin, crumpled papers found in century-old time capsule

September 01, 2010
Liam Casey

e0fbe85f4ddbbf5d433d74ce7305.jpeg

All that was found in the time capsule was what appears to be newspaper and a coin or token of some kind. (Sept. 1, 2010)
KEITH BEATY/TORONTO STAR

Retired military personnel didn’t know what a century-old time capsule would contain, and after opening it Wednesday, they still didn’t know.

A heavily oxidized coin and crumpled papers, part of which turned to dust when touched, were the only items inside the tin can.

When the Royal Canadian Military Institute moved into its current location on University Ave. in 1907, Earl Grey, then Governor General of Canada, laid the cornerstone in a ceremony on Aug. 29. Technically, it wasn’t a time capsule, according to Paul Hudson, co-founder of the International Time Capsule Society.

“Cornerstones are like first cousins to the time capsule,†said Hudson, who is also a history professor at Oglethorpe University in Atlanta, Georgia.

The term time capsule was first used in 1939 by the Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company in a promotional stunt for the World’s Fair in New York, according to Hudson. That time capsule is buried at Flushing Meadow and won’t be opened for another 5,000 years. Cornerstones, however, have been used for centuries.

Another important difference: Time capsules are meant to be retrieved, usually on a certain date, while cornerstone treasures can only be retrieved when a building is demolished, due to its structural importance.

Retired Lt. Col. Arthur G. Manvell, honorary librarian for the institute, speculated on the identity of the contents.

“Well, I don’t think it’s a coin of the realm,†Manvell said. “It’s probably a token or medallion of some sort.â€

The rolled up papers, with no visible ink, will be more difficult to identify.

“They’re so fragile and disintegrated that maybe we’ll never know,†Manvell said.

The plan is to have a conservator examine and refurbish the items, according to retired Lt. Col. Bruce Savage, honorary curator at the institute. A new time capsule will be stored when the new building is completed in 2012.

Time capsules aren’t just for this world either. The late Carl Sagan, an iconic planetary studies professor at Cornell University, launched a time capsule into space with NASA’s help in 1977. It included a 12-inch gold-plated copper disk that contained images and natural sounds such as whale calls and rolling thunder, designed to show aliens what life is like on Earth.

In 1976, then Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau sealed a time capsule when the CN Tower opened in 1976.

“The tower has been officially screwed,†Trudeau said with a smile as he wound the capsule into the wall of the observation deck.

Last edited:
I'm going to make a time capsule. I'm going to put in a copy of Eye Weekly and a nickel from 1993.

Quick Pic: Tribute's New Residences At The RCMI Condo Starts With A Tear Down
Photos By androiduk and Ed007Toronto
September 20, 2010

Work begins on the new Residences at the RCMI condo which will be located at 426 University Avenue. The front facade of the former The Royal Canadian Military Institute building, as shown by the photograph taken by forum member androiduk, will remain.

qp-rcmihoard-androiduk.jpg

The rest of the building, as we can see from Ed007Toronto's photo, will be torn down. The 42 storey condo is being developed by Tribute Communities and is designed by Zeidler Partnership Architects. The interesting thing about this building - no parking spots are being provided other than 9 spots for Autoshare cars. That's a first for a major new project downtown. The 318-unit condominium will have 319 storage spots for bicycles.

RCMI-Sept18,10(4).JPG

Back