Markham Remington Centre | ?m | 33s | Remington Group | Kohn

Demolition of Market Village finally underway...

20181015_165801_HDR.jpg
20181015_165807.jpg
20181015_165802_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 20181015_165801_HDR.jpg
    20181015_165801_HDR.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 2,331
  • 20181015_165807.jpg
    20181015_165807.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 2,316
  • 20181015_165802_HDR.jpg
    20181015_165802_HDR.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 2,283
Feb 03
Demolition is done, but still cleaning up to be done. Too much snow in the way to get more shots.
32037503187_c7c2aa534a_b.jpg

32037503757_8a7b1289cf_b.jpg

46064886795_6284817bb2_b.jpg

32037504897_346f2b965e_b.jpg

There's a recent thread for this posted a couple months ago on Reddit. This following comment appears to provide the most insight:

There have been delays on the project due to pmall launching a lawsuit against market village / Remington for breach of contract.

Technically, the plot of land that the malls sit on are owned by 3 different corporations, one for each of the buildings. When the buildings originally went up, they reached an agreement for reciprocal easement (shared usage) for the parking and lane ways. The proposed design by Remington group cut into some of the easement in the North parking area, and pmall didn't like that, despite the proposed building design having a new multilevel parking facility.

Tldr, pmall sued market so project is delayed.

Not sure if this counts as an actual update, but some rumours floating around?

I don't doubt that given shifting market demands and the changing context (decline of Pacific Mall, new GO Station), that the retail component would be decreased and replaced with condos if this project is still able to get off the ground. Overall, I think it's safe to say that this proposal is stale, if not dead.

1686925509118.png

Link
1686925654882.png

Perhaps the idea for Remington Centre came just too late? Interestingly enough, I think that the future remains in strip malls (plenty of new ones being built), and upscale 'ethnic' sections in major malls (like at Fairview Mall's new T&T wing).

I don't doubt that given shifting market demands and the changing context (decline of Pacific Mall, new GO Station), that the retail component would be decreased and replaced with condos. I think it's safe to say that this proposal is stale, if not dead.

View attachment 485727
Link
View attachment 485728

Perhaps the idea for Remington Centre came just too late? Interestingly enough, I think that the future remains in strip malls (plenty of new ones being built), and specifically tailored 'ethnic' sections in major malls (like at Fairview Mall's new T&T wing).

There are simply too many of them for the market to support - if store duplication is already a problem at Pacific Mall and First Markham Place (think of the umpteen stores selling traditional Chinese medicine, cellphones/accessories and whatnot) - why do they think there is market for even more of it? Something like Fairview Mall (an Asian tinted mainstream mall) would work, but CF Markview is just down the street and it already straddled that hybrid market.

AoD

I find that the demolition of the former Market Village mall has contributed to a decline in Pacific Mall as well. As Market Village featured important staple retail like 2 grocery stores, a few larger format restaurants, and a fairly popular food court. With the shift of shopping trends, P-mall alone doesn't have the draw as it used to have a decade or so ago.

I find that the demolition of the former Market Village mall has contributed to a decline in Pacific Mall as well. As Market Village featured important staple retail like 2 grocery stores, a few larger format restaurants, and a fairly popular food court. With the shift of shopping trends, P-mall alone doesn't have the draw as it used to have a decade or so ago.

Yep - I would say grocery stores are probably the most important anchor for Chinese malls - because the rest of the offerings are frankly non-essentials. And P-mall sucks as a shopping experience anyways.

AoD

I don't doubt that given shifting market demands and the changing context (decline of Pacific Mall, new GO Station), that the retail component would be decreased and replaced with condos if this project is still able to get off the ground. Overall, I think it's safe to say that this proposal is stale, if not dead.

View attachment 485727
Link
View attachment 485728

Perhaps the idea for Remington Centre came just too late? Interestingly enough, I think that the future remains in strip malls (plenty of new ones being built), and upscale 'ethnic' sections in major malls (like at Fairview Mall's new T&T wing).
I wouldn’t be too surprised if this was true regarding the infrastructure. The original Market Village used to be a Garden Centre and a Country/Farm marketplace, which didn’t necessitate deep infrastructure. I still remember visiting in its original form.

Agreed with this point, the two malls were often a two-for-one draw for trips. As the area has developed, many new strip malls have popped up in the former industrial zone running down Midland to Finch, so there is also less of a draw to the mall.

I think that Pacific Mall will be gone in a decade or so as well barring any significant renovations that seek to revitalise it; the cubical-style condo retail format has aged fairly poorly, along with the general shopping experience. Ironically, I think that the second floor is seemingly doing better largely because of its introverted, larger-scale format and more varied attractions.

Back