Toronto Rees Park Playground and Pavillion | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

count me a little skeptical of the reasoning behind reserving 100% of the above-grade space on this site for a park.
I'm not particularly excited about this one either. I'm not against some green space here, but with the Gardiner looming overhead to the north, the design will have to be pretty creative to make the place attractive. If it ended up as a series of increasing higher landscaped terraces—and ended high enough to block the Gardiner noise from Queens Quay—then you could throw a parking garage under there along with the stormwater containment tank. The terraces, or a landscaped hill could also offer park goers good views of the water too…

I do feel strongly that this site should not have high-rises on it, because that SkyDome view from the lake is so iconic. Whether this should be a park or something else, I'm not sure. I liked the idea from upthread that this could be a public square with food vendors. If it's a park, the budget has to be sufficient to make it a unique and sufficiently attractive to draw people from the south side of Queens Quay.

What do people think about having more active uses on the site? Skatepark, large playground and splash pad like at Grange Park, ping pong tables, parkour, rock climbing, dog park, etc. This would draw people in to actually use the space and as many people here have mentioned, there is no lack of passive park space in the area.
I am with the Toronto Skateboarding Committee and we have had some discussions about finding space for a skatepark in the area. Skateboarders are already using many of the new parks as there are no skateparks in the area. June Callwoods Park, Sherbourne Common, HTO park and a number of others are frequently used by skaters and have been modified to deter skateboarding. A proactive solution would be to create a skateable space. Here are some images of some of the newer skateparks from around the world
cologne4.jpg
091015_grani_10[1].jpg
Les-Corts-Skatepark-04.jpg
110-freoverview-large.jpg
oz5.jpg
Fremantle_16.jpg
geelong-vic-04.jpg
port-augusta-03.jpg
please share your thoughts.

Attachments

• cologne4.jpg
    cologne4.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 592
  • 091015_grani_10[1].jpg
    091015_grani_10[1].jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 559
  • Les-Corts-Skatepark-04.jpg
    Les-Corts-Skatepark-04.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 570
  • 110-freoverview-large.jpg
    110-freoverview-large.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 602
  • oz5.jpg
    oz5.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 547
  • Fremantle_16.jpg
    Fremantle_16.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 583
  • geelong-vic-04.jpg
    geelong-vic-04.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 554
  • port-augusta-03.jpg
    port-augusta-03.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 548
Last edited:
Not a bad idea at all - I think you made a good case for it- though you will likely have to convince local residents how a public space at least partly designed to cater to the needs of skateboarders will fit with the neighbourhood.

AoD

though you will likely have to convince local residents how a public space at least partly designed to cater to the needs of skateboarders will fit with the neighbourhood.

Having a park here dedicated to them might keep them from messing up the rest of the neighbourhood.

The thing we are trying to do is be proactive and inform people that we are already here, there and everywhere and the intent is not to damage property but to use it in a way that is not intended. Whether one likes it or not, it is happening and should be accommodated. Many cities in Europe and Australia are designing public spaces in order to accomodate skateboarding by incorporating more resilient materials and in some instances dedicating existing public spaces that are predominantly used by skateboarders.
After being used for over 20 years by skateboarders, Montreal finally legalized skateboarding at Peace Park Plaza. I have countless other examples from around the world.
Peace Park Montreal.jpg

Attachments

• Peace Park Montreal.jpg
    Peace Park Montreal.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 538
They would fit nicely in this park. Imagine driving down on the Gardiner and all the sudden you get a glimpse of the top of the palm trees with the lake and boats in the background. It would be magical :D

Toronto is not very good at folding dining/drinking options into their park spaces, as is standard in Europe. For example, I visited the newly-opened Trillum Park this weekend with friends, and our only option to eat something by the water was a popsicle stand....

Toronto is not very good at folding dining/drinking options into their park spaces, as is standard in Europe. For example, I visited the newly-opened Trillum Park this weekend with friends, and our only option to eat something by the water was a popsicle stand....

Though it is probably a tougher business here than in Europe - low population density, limited visits, long winters.

AoD

True, but someone in the neighbourhood is going to come out and say we don't what "those people" here.

AoD
In my case, it's not "the people" that I wouldn't want, but rather the annoying racket associated with skateboarding. If there is any way to dampen it, I'm all for it.

Back