Toronto RBC WaterPark Place III | 140.2m | 30s | Oxford Properties | WZMH

It's very 80.

Now that you mention it ya. The smallish glass panels definitely date the look in those pictures. Larger panels and some accents could have helped offset it.

I'll reserve full judgement when its complete though :p

We'll people are saying that everything looks the same down here, so wouldn't this be a good thing being inspired by a different era? seems a tough crowd!

From the Toronto Star

Cisco Systems Inc. says it has selected Toronto as one of four global research centres and plans an investment of up to $100 million in infrastructure, staffing, technology and operational costs in the city over 10 years.

Toronto will join Songdo, South Korea; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and another unnamed city in Germany as among its regional innovation hubs, the networking gear maker announced Tuesday

It said the Toronto Innovation Centre will help companies and government agencies capitalize on opportunities created by the so-called Internet of everything, a phrase that refers to the interconnection of products such as cars and appliances over the web.

Cisco estimates the Internet of everything market will be worth $19 trillion over the next decade and about $500 billion in Canada.

In December Cisco said it would invest up to $4 billion over 10 years to expand its footprint in Ontario and create up to 1,700 new jobs. It said the innovation investment represents an additional commitment.

The Toronto Innovation Centre will occupy 15,000 sq. ft. of space in the Oxford Properties’ new RBC WaterPark Place, scheduled for completion in spring 2015.

WaterPark Place will also be home to Cisco’s new Canadian headquarters. The building will be the first commercial office tower in North America to take advantage of a fully integrated IP-based building and energy network.

This is wrong, I'm 99% confident they have much more space then this in this building, closer to 100K - I posted about it in another thread:

The 889,000-square-foot RBC WaterPark Place at 88 Queens
Quay West scheduled for Q3 2014 delivery. Cisco Systems has
also just been confirmed for 70,000 square feet.
http://www.ngkf.com/home/about-our-firm/global-offices/canada/market-reports.aspx?d=2758

But this mentions 100,000
http://www.cbre.ca/AssetLibrary/TorontoOfficeDevelopment_Sep2013.pdf

Actually its fairly clear in that article the 15K is their new initiative space, but they also mention they're moving there Canadian HQ here as well (which is already in the core). So that explains it.

The cladding, reflective quality, and 'boring glass box' look of the building I have no problem with. I do think this buildings height is its biggest fault. It loses elegance with its stubby-appearing proportions and gets lost in the mix.

Maybe that's what RBC was looking for - a boring glass box. If you consider, being headquartered in a gold coloured tower gives a totally different impression of the bank versus this.
Which BTW, there's 2,500oz of gold in the glass in Royal Bank Plaza.

Maybe that's what RBC was looking for - a boring glass box. If you consider, being headquartered in a gold coloured tower gives a totally different impression of the bank versus this.
Which BTW, there's 2,500oz of gold in the glass in Royal Bank Plaza.

Yeah, point taken. But I can't help but love that building; looking at it during the sunset is awesome.

The podium glass and a few stories up past that on the RBC Dexia building is bomb resistant glass. Seeing as it's the same tenant, I wouldn't be surprised if they are doing something similar here. RBC also uses vibrating glass on some office windows to stop laser microphones...

Bomb resistant glass? Are you serious? Wow, does RBC ever think quite highly of themselves don't they.
When was the last time an office building was targeted in this country? Or for that matter when was the last time any building was targeted?(here's a hint - never) Sure it could happen one day, but a nondescript office building like this isn't exactly going to be high up on the priority list of targets.

The glass is not bomb resistant, during installation quite a few were broken .

Bomb resistant glass? Are you serious? Wow, does RBC ever think quite highly of themselves don't they.
When was the last time an office building was targeted in this country? Or for that matter when was the last time any building was targeted?(here's a hint - never) Sure it could happen one day, but a nondescript office building like this isn't exactly going to be high up on the priority list of targets.

Actually multiple locations in toronto and ottawa were targeted in 2006. The event is commonly known as the Toronto 18. It was a failed terrorist attempt that involved blowing up downtown offices, the CN Tower, mass executions as well as beheading the prime minister.
We're very fortunate for the hard work of our RCMP.

Agreed. To think that Toronto is immune from attacks from (home-grown) terrorists who hate Western ways is both naive and keeping one's head in the sand. Read the papers; listen to the news. Our government; big companies, tourist attractions, and VIA rail take this stuff seriously. And yes, the RCMP is awesome. Don't take them for granted thinking that we aren't the States or Britian and we don't require security. We are the 'West' when it comes to terrorists who hate everything about us.

Terrorists hate RBC for the freedom it represents.

Anyway I like this building. I'll take a slick box in this location.

Back