Toronto RBC WaterPark Place III | 140.2m | 30s | Oxford Properties | WZMH

Now that the weather has improved I've had several chances to get up close and personal with this building and it has got to be the worst office built (downtown) of this current boom. I recall that RBC selected this site/building over 16 York St because they apparently wanted a more no frills type building but this one is pretty bad. Thankfully with all the big towers surrounding it, sections of the gardiner coming down (opening up the park) and the new QQ done it'll be less noticeable.

The juxtaposition of WPIII with its earlier incarnation makes things all the more brutal (also - I believe there are drawings for an original WPIII that would have matched the earlier incarnations?)

yup they were only rough possible ideas for marketing the potential of the space IIRC but they are included in these two photos noticeable in the rear of WP1&2

Check out Post 36 of this thread for the shots or see below.

Credit to Forum member CanadianNational for scouting these back then

waterpark3b.jpg

waterpark3a.jpg

The original was a quality design. The cladding materials and colours seemed inspired by the nearby Harbour Commission Building. Too bad they didn't build the third tower as it was originally designed.

Reading the text above (and looking at the terraced design) the 3rd tower would have been residential.
The text references a large multi-use complex combining residential with commercial space - the existing Waterpark Place only had office - so tower 3 would have been the residential part.

That's interesting. The original buildings said something and the galleria is a lovely space. They also remind me significantly of the World Financial Center in Manhattan.

That's interesting. The original buildings said something and the galleria is a lovely space. They also remind me significantly of the World Financial Center in Manhattan.
I always think that too. Their placement in their respective cities vis–à–vis the 'heart' of their financial districts is similar too.

I took some crappy phone photos from a tour I did today if anyone is interested...

IMG_3376.jpg
IMG_3378.jpg
IMG_3381.jpg
IMG_3382.jpg
IMG_3384.jpg
IMG_3391.jpg
IMG_3398.jpg
IMG_3403.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3376.jpg
    IMG_3376.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 1,020
  • IMG_3378.jpg
    IMG_3378.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,018
  • IMG_3381.jpg
    IMG_3381.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 1,022
  • IMG_3382.jpg
    IMG_3382.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 998
  • IMG_3384.jpg
    IMG_3384.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 1,047
  • IMG_3391.jpg
    IMG_3391.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 977
  • IMG_3398.jpg
    IMG_3398.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,009
  • IMG_3403.jpg
    IMG_3403.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 1,005
Thanks for the tour!

skube, thank you for the pictures. As I live across the street and have to look at this building all the time I am very interested how is going to look. If you have more pictures, please post them.

At least the streetscape looks like it has potential.

I agree that this is a pretty disappointing project. So much banality between the lake and the train tracks. What I would do for some brick or warm coloured glass, especially on the other side of the Gardiner in Southcore.

10 York looks like it will mix up the sea of blue glass but I'm dreading it's spandrel and Tridel-quality craftsmanship.

Last edited:

Back