Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

My understanding is that the funding is secured for the portion of Queens Quay west of Bay. But there is no funding yet for East Bayfront (Queens Quay East) or for Cherry St. streetcar lines, although development appears to be proceeding regardless.

My understanding is that the funding is secured for the portion of Queens Quay west of Bay. But there is no funding yet for East Bayfront (Queens Quay East) or for Cherry St. streetcar lines, although development appears to be proceeding regardless.

Here's the low down:

There is no funding at all for an LRT on Queens Quay East ... all the development in East Bayfront and the like will be going ahead regardless with one possible expcetion. Hines does not need to deliver all of the office space (there are few standalone office buildings) if the LRT is not in place by 2015 or so (which clearly will not happen). Having said that, I've heard they're going to go ahead and try to market the space anyway.

I don't have that much hope for the office space; Parkside was suppose to have a bunch of office space in the podium, but that recently got converted - I think it was markted for a while as well too ... and with no luck I persume.

Unless things have change, the westbound traffic will move to the ROW while the north side is torn up and rebuilt for the new traffic lanes in both directions. This will include the sidewalk.

Once that is done, the new traffic lights will go into service with all traffic moving to the north side.

Work will then start on rebuilding the ROW.

Way things are going, the new ROW could be built first, so TTC can use it for the 2012 EX. By doing this way, then the westbound traffic could use the ROW while the new north side is rebuilt in stages. If all the stages are not completed by Aug 2012, the westbound traffic can use the old and new sections until after the EX.

After that is done, then work will start on the south side of the new ROW for the new trail and sidewalk.

At some point, the Spadina intersection will be close to everything while TTC rebuild the track work to conform for the shifting of the tracks to the south and having the new switches to line up with the new layout.

Just to the west of the intersection is where the eastbound lane will be move to the north side.

Some relocation of existing utilities is or was supposed to start by year end.

I expect either next TTC board Change or the next one, 509 & 510 will be replace by buses.

Haven't heard what date the 510 streetcars will become buses, once the work starts on rebuilding the Spadina ROW, south of King St this year.

Haven't heard what date the 510 streetcars will become buses, once the work starts on rebuilding the Spadina ROW, south of King St this year.

The only work on Spadina this year will be between King and Front - the tender closed on 22 August but has not yet been awarded. I assume they will do the lower part in 2012 at same time as Queen's Quay.

The only work on Spadina this year will be between King and Front - the tender closed on 22 August but has not yet been awarded. I assume they will do the lower part in 2012 at same time as Queen's Quay.

Haven't follow this work, like others, but my understanding that the work was to go to the Lakeshore north side, as the bridge needs work badly.

Haven't follow this work, like others, but my understanding that the work was to go to the Lakeshore north side, as the bridge needs work badly.

The original plan was to go to Lakeshore but the tender said:

Construction Services, Construction Services
Description:
Reconstruction of TTC Track Allowance including Power and Communication Ductbanks
Reconstruction of TTC Track Allowance including Power and Communication Ductbanks on Spadina Avenue from King Street West to South of the Front Street.
Issue date:
August 8, 2011
Closing date:
August 22, 2011
at 12:00 Noon

I guess the question is ... how far south of Front Street :)

Who knows without reading the tender documents. What a project is called, and what happens frequently diverge without anyone renaming ...

That's some great info. Thanks. Where do you learn about this stuff?

What stuff?

Wouldn't all of the Spadina cars, instead of most of them, just loop at Charlotte, with a few buses operating as shuttles from Charlotte to somewhere on Queens Quay West?

I would assume so - they certainly wouldn't take streetcars off Spadina north of King.

From the Waterfront Toronto newsletter released today:

Queens Quay Revitalization Construction Manager Announced

Following a competitive procurement process, the construction contract for revitalizing Queens Quay Boulevard has been awarded to Eastern Construction.

The project will transform the main waterfront street, Queens Quay Boulevard, from an unattractive
and dysfunctional street to a beautiful and functional main street for the waterfront. The revitalized Queens Quay will feature a generous, tree-lined promenade and a bike lane on the south side, a transit line in the center and traffic lanes on the north side.

A Construction Liaison Committee made up of local resident associations, businesses and other groups is being established.

U

I expect either next TTC board Change or the next one, 509 & 510 will be replace by buses.

Are you saying that the Spadina streetcar is being replaced by buses or only until the rebuilding of the Spadina ROW is complete

Are you saying that the Spadina streetcar is being replaced by buses or only until the rebuilding of the Spadina ROW is complete

Even if public opinion changed considerably in the city, these lines IMO would be the last to be permanently converted into buses since they're already separated from traffic. The street cars will be turning back once they reach QQ while the tracks are being reconstructed though, and buses will be running between there and Union Station.

Drum's comment was written in September when the TTC were still saying they intended to rebuild the tracks on Spadina south of King (and had a pile of long welded rail lengths on Front Street, which are still there.) Subsequently they postponed the rebuild on Spadina to 2012 when it will be done along with the rebuild and redesign of Queen's Quay If they thought it out properly, well, one can hope, they would finish the Spadina part fast and first so that streetcars could go to the Queen's Quay loop but at some point there will be shuttle buses on Queen's Quay from Union to Spadina and on Spadina from Queen's Quay to King.

Back