Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Streetcars were getting stuck at the gates all day today, not sure if the transponders are working correctly. Also they also put down this flashing light at Queens Quay/York beside the bollard that kept getting knocked over.

Attachments

• IMG_20181005_184913850.jpg
    IMG_20181005_184913850.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 391
lol this place is going to be lit, signed and adorned more than any Christmas tree

Maybe that'll prevent the bollards from being knocked over

The flashing light is gone, someone must have walked away with it since it wasn't fastened to the ground

I wish Queens Quay only allowed local vehicle traffic. Gridlock as everyone tries to get on the Gardiner from York St. This is far from the woonerf we dreamed of.

Attachments

• IMG_20181009_163629247.jpg
    IMG_20181009_163629247.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 382
Last edited:
I wish Queens Quay only allowed local vehicle traffic. Gridlock as everyone tries to get on the Gardiner from York St. This is far from the woonerf we dreamed of.
The whole idea for QQ was to make it a local road than a through road. During the EA study, it was found that 65% of traffic on the QQ was bypassing traffic because of the Lake Shore and Gardiner mess.

One of the ideas for the road was to make it one way westbound and heavily opposed by the Bathurst Community. They said they would be caught up in the Lake Shore mess to get to X spot on QQ. In fact, most have never gone to X spot since QQ was rebuilt.

To deal with gridlock, you got to start where X lives and the number of cars allow there in the first place. Most new homes have been built for 2/4 cars, yet to can find 6 plus. A lot of homes don't even put the car in the garage as it been used for other things.

I have strongly supported reducing parking standards on all new development and removing on street parking to the point of 50% or less. In the city core, it should be from share parking to 10%. Don't own a car and only rent one as needed.

I number of development are now going to 50% or less and just saw a committee of Adjustment notice to be heard on Oct 25 as for the 50% reduction per a bylaw pertaining to the site.

Reactions: 000

That was the intention. That's why it was narrowed and road capacity given to sidewalks. Yet, drivers see a road and think it's supposed to be a highway — then they complain when they're stuck in gridlock. Lake Shore and Harbour are right there, yet drivers try to use Queens Quay as a crosstown route.

source.gif

I think the real solution would be to make it alternating one way streets. If cars had to turn off at every block, only local traffic could by definition use it.

And......they're finally replacing all the dead trees; 154 of them.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...long-queens-quay-waterfront-toronto-says.html

The Good News:

Trees are being replaced.

They at least have the good sense to change up and increase the variety of species being used.

Princeton Elm, Valley Forge Elm, Skyline Honey Locust, Marmo Maple, Autumn Fantasy Maple, and Jeffersred Maple.

The Bad News:

First they are doing this in fall. Which for these species should be fine, but spring is always better, particularly if salt conditions are clearly part of the problem.

Second, they are not changing the actual planting conditions such that the risk of salt damage will decline materially, they are merely hoping that this selection of species will be more salt tolerant (it should be......)

Third, they are using a lot of cultivar clones which still subjects them to undue risk of similar disease.

Note in the article the quote from LEAF which hints at the issues around salt, and around severely trimmed root balls which I highlighted recently in discussing the new Habour Street trees.

Last edited:
Was there ever a plan to illuminate the streetcar stops along Queens Quay? The Harbourfront, Reese, and Spadina stops are incredibly dark at night. Not even the ad signage on these stops are illuminated to provide some cast off light.

Was there ever a plan to illuminate the streetcar stops along Queens Quay? The Harbourfront, Reese, and Spadina stops are incredibly dark at night. Not even the ad signage on these stops are illuminated to provide some cast off light.
Cycling along there at night can be incredibly dangerous, especially with morons with no lights flying towards you on the cyclepath, impossible to see.
I let them know what I think of them as they brush past. I'm a friend of Tourette. Love his poetry.

Back