Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

I was on a Spadina streetcar once that skipped a stop because a fire truck pulled into the right of way before it turned off of it before it even reached the stop. Other than that I don't think they really use them because they can't get out of or off of them quickly.
Then, why did they want concrete in place of grass if they don't use the ROW in the first place??

Spadina ROW is one thing, but QQ ROW is easy to get on/off.

Then, why did they want concrete in place of grass if they don't use the ROW in the first place??

Spadina ROW is one thing, but QQ ROW is easy to get on/off.
Don't forget Queens Quay is off to the side and raised the same way that St. Clair is. They wanted it concrete because they wanted it available to them should they need it, like for example if there was a fire in a building across the right of way on Queens Quay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interestingly, city is looking to buy/get Portland and Spadina Slip from the Feds - from Feb Gov Management committee meeting:
I'd like to see Portland Slip infilled a bit with a view to giving some extra space to the quite hemmed in Waterfront School.
Portland Slip.PNG

Attachments

• Portland Slip.PNG
    Portland Slip.PNG
    980 KB · Views: 455
I'd like to see Portland Slip infilled a bit with a view to giving some extra space to the quite hemmed in Waterfront School.

Talk about cutting the image to suit.

They have a basketball court, hopscotch and paved areas on site for play.
Just south of them there is an old baseball field (perfect for small kids...too small for a real game)
Right across the street is Little Norway Park which is big enough for a full soccer game

All for 220 students.

why fill in the water for additional room? Right across the water from where people are complaining about the environmental issues with the airport wanting to do the same.

Just south of them there is an old baseball field (perfect for small kids...too small for a real game)
Right across the street is Little Norway Park which is big enough for a full soccer game

All for 220 students.
Being able to move some of the play area to the water side might be helpful in two ways: 1. Providing sun sheltered space when the sun swings around in May/June. 2. Allowing the perimeter on the Eireann Quay side to be moved back (trees/planters) to reduce the impact of taxis and other vehicles queuing for the island airport. As for the 220 students, it may be that the school will need additional room to expand given the ongoing increase in residential development in that area, and any increase in daycare provision.

As for this question:
why fill in the water for additional room? Right across the water from where people are complaining about the environmental issues with the airport wanting to do the same.
HtIHJh_yVIbd1QjM-4C-G0WzJdppdMmClniuHpqvZWmzWNa3DkxgU24wJ_6LwIgxXdI=s0-d

All for 220 students.

I stand to be corrected, but the area will not be fill in with earth/rock, but will be a wave deck like the others so far.

It's been so long when we first looked at this area, one become lost with all the changes that have taken place, as well what was plan in the first place. $$$ are require for this area, as well the other unfinished projects still on the book, but empty pockets are stopping them.

Well I guess this is a solution to the Portal issues. It looks like they're spaced out just enough to let streetcars pass. I can't help but feel like making a left turn onto that service road is going to be both a pain, and even more confusing for people new to the area.
IMG_1005.jpg
IMG_1007.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1005.jpg
    IMG_1005.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 417
  • IMG_1007.jpg
    IMG_1007.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 401
Last edited by a moderator:
Well I guess this is a solution to the Portal issues. It looks like they're spaced out just enough to let streetcars pass. I can't help but feel like making a left turn onto that service road is going to be both a pain, and even more confusing for people new to the area.
Well on the bright side it's bollards. They might not be retractable bollards but at least they are bollards. I look forward to seeing idiotic drivers try to beat and get past them now.

I do have some concerns about the bollards though. From the image I can easily foresee pedestrians using the bollards an excuse to get even closer to streetcar operations. "Oh hey look there's a place to stand next to before crossing. It'll be safe."

Well on the bright side it's bollards. They might not be retractable bollards but at least they are bollards. I look forward to seeing idiotic drivers try to beat and get past them now.

I do have some concerns about the bollards though. From the image I can easily foresee pedestrians using the bollards an excuse to get even closer to streetcar operations. "Oh hey look there's a place to stand next to before crossing. It'll be safe."
You are probably right but the people who go into the portal are clearly not paying attention (to be kind) so I suspect they will not be deterred by bollards - retractable or not. I await the first car to run into them!

Retractable bollards would improve so many streets where initiatives are present to limit traffic and improve transit operations. I'm thinking of King Street, but even side streets with turn restrictions and no entrance signs meant to limit through traffic would benefit. Often, in spite of vigorous enforcement, the street signs get ignored to everyone's detriment except the self-centred driver who puts his or her own convenience above all else--even the safety of people on the road.

Retractable bollards are just dumb - and will damage vehicles - what if one was to piece a gas tank? Knowing TTC and City, they'd puncture a street car with them.

Permanent bollards might get hit, but easily removed compared to middle of tunnel. If you put them in just a bit wider than a streetcar, most drunk drivers will probably hit them anyways ... :) Then you could make them somewhat removable for service vehicles.

In my view that's the whole point about retractable bollards. Serves three functions: 1) automobile prevention, 2) punitive car damage is the driver's fault, 3) public deterrence: public mockery of idiocy. If you can't follow signage you shouldn't be driving at all.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:
Retractable bollards are just dumb - and will damage vehicles - what if one was to piece a gas tank? Knowing TTC and City, they'd puncture a street car with them.

Permanent bollards might get hit, but easily removed compared to middle of tunnel. If you put them in just a bit wider than a streetcar, most drunk drivers will probably hit them anyways ... :) Then you could make them somewhat removable for service vehicles.
There are retractable bollards all over the world so I think your fears are somewhat overblown. However, from my observations, they tend to be used in locations where they really only deploy occasionally (at night, weekends etc) rather than on roads like QQ where they would be popping up and down like meerkats!

There are retractable bollards all over the world so I think your fears are somewhat overblown. However, from my observations, they tend to be used in locations where they really only deploy occasionally (at night, weekends etc) rather than on roads like QQ where they would be popping up and down like meerkats!

Queens Quay could do the same, only deploying them between streetcars after midnight when the service level is reduced. They could even only be deployed when the route shuts down for the night, between 2 and 5am. Doing so at the very least would cut down on late night trips down the ramp.

I think they're a smart solution to the problem of road signs being disregarded. We should expect negligent drivers to pay the costs of their misadventures in disregarding traffic signage instead of worrying about how to protect them. A ruptured gas tank is extremely unlikely. In that rare scenario, the bollard would either dent it or create a small leak. Even if it did happen, a small gasoline would spill on the road, evaporate, and be cleaned up. There would be no cinematic explosion.

Back