Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

I predict there will be a car crashing into those bollards before long.

I’m glad to see the TTC realized they needed to put barriers to entry to the ROW at York, and not just at the entrance to the tunnel. Not that I’m implying they read my posts, but I have been saying this here for months. Good on them.

I predict there will be a car crashing into those bollards before long.

It doesn't really matter, as the bollards are not living things. The damaged vehicle can quickly and easily be towed away. Often times, the vehicle will still be fully operable, and the driver will be able to drive away.

Exactly and the TTC won't have to bring in a crane to lift it out of the tunnel.

It doesn't really matter, as the bollards are not living things. The damaged vehicle can quickly and easily be towed away. Often times, the vehicle will still be fully operable, and the driver will be able to drive away.

Oh yeah, I realize. I'm just being glib about the QQ driver problem.

I’m glad to see the TTC realized they needed to put barriers to entry to the ROW at York, and not just at the entrance to the tunnel. Not that I’m implying they read my posts, but I have been saying this here for months. Good on them.
They had also, last summer, put in the major 'rumble strip area'' at York as well as the one right at the portal entrance. Of course, neither really deterred the determined idiots and I fear that the bollards will not fare much better.

There are retractable bollards all over the world so I think your fears are somewhat overblown. However, from my observations, they tend to be used in locations where they really only deploy occasionally (at night, weekends etc) rather than on roads like QQ where they would be popping up and down like meerkats!
100% agree.

Okay, 95% agree. There may well be retractable bollards in the world, but in places with quite as much salt pouring into the working for about 4-5 months straight every year?

There are tramway switches all over world too - and yet ours always have many not functioning, and have to be changed by hand. I can see the 509 driver now having to get out with his handle, to manually lower the bollard every 3 minutes! :)

From link.

ttc.jpg.size-custom-crop.1086x0.jpg

They should add arrows to the right most bollards, like they have in Europe. See link.
Rebound-Signmaster-6772-Int.jpg

Just walked on QQ from Yonge to York - I estimate that well over 50% of the trees are dead, dying or missing. Sad!
I think the problem is the type of trees the city is trying to plant they say they are local to the area but they are also ones that do better in a marsh area more then in the where they are being planted now.

Last edited:
Paging @Northern Light for answers?

AoD

I will wander down and have a look.

I don't have the updated species list.

I know this is another area (like Bloor) where they stuck a lot of London Plane Trees, and I have shared my thoughts on those as a street tree choice in Toronto.

The trees here have some above-average planting conditions for street trees, but many are a bit more enclosed that I would like around the base.

The wind/shadow conditions are very tough on trees in the Yonge to Bay section.

Missing trees are generally ones removed by the City.

The process for replacing street trees involves an arborist or inspector passing judgement the tree is dead or beyond hope, it is they sprayed with a red dot on the tree.

That dot indicates removal as will paperwork.

A second crew then passes and stumps the tree removing everything but the base (so the saw work)

A third crew removes the base (digging work)

and then the tree is replaced with a new one.

Typically the delay in replanting is one season (so marked in spring, replaced in fall or the opposite)

But in some cases its a full year depending on the desired replacement species as well as geographically coordinated works.

Trees of this size will not go missing because someone poached it. (this sometimes happens to smaller trees planted in naturalization plantings)

I think the problem is the type of trees the city is trying to plant they say they are local to the area but they are also ones that do better in a marsh area more then in the where they are being planted now.

Again, don't have the species list for this section in front of me.

London Planes were part of the mix here. They do not like the amount of salt we feed them at all. This climate is a bit harsh on them anyway, though in better growing conditions they might do better.

As to other species..........as a rule of thumb, swamp/marsh species are the most tolerate of the BS street trees have to tackle.

I know its counter-intuitive. But the Silver Maple (Acer Freeman hybrid usually) is among the best performing street trees for the city. Its a natural swamp species. Technically its only native up to about Niagara Region, but its hardy here .

Of all the oaks, Swamp White Oak is probably the best performer (though Reds and Burs do better than the City gives them credit for) .

Swamp trees, by and large abide a wider range of conditions than those than thrive in good quality forests.

This is also why Ash used to be great choice, then the Emerald Ash Borer arrived and took that one away.

Back