Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

This isn't on the Queen's Quay side, but it certainly improves the look of the old Westin conference centre.

WP_20150423_11_47_50_Pro.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20150423_11_47_50_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150423_11_47_50_Pro.jpg
    637.8 KB · Views: 1,061
This isn't on the Queen's Quay side, but it certainly improves the look of the old Westin conference centre.

Thanks - it looks about as charming as the mural on the St. Lawrence North Market. Personally I find that it clashed with the architecture and made it look even more dated. It needed something colourful, geometrical and bold (e.g. Sol Lewitt), not this.

AoD

Last edited:
The Toronto construction nerd in me coming out: I've got a quick business trip for the first week of May, and I'm going to stay at the Radisson Admiral just to have a chance to do a walking tour of the Waterfront to/from downtown. Looking forward to seeing the progress in person!

Thanks - it looks about as charming as the mural on the St. Lawrence North Market. Personally I find that it clashed with the architecture and made it look even more dated. It needed something colourful, geometrical and bold (e.g. Sol Lewitt), not this.

Agreed. I've always imagined something like what you're describing plastered onto the facade of Hudson Bay Centre on Bloor. Bold, bright, geometric...perhaps something Mondrian-esque.

Agreed. I've always imagined something like what you're describing plastered onto the facade of Hudson Bay Centre on Bloor. Bold, bright, geometric...perhaps something Mondrian-esque.

On the side of the Bay, a wrecking ball would look better, but yes a mural would be the next best thing.

Agreed. It's butt. Looks like a bunch of dream-catchers painted by a street folk artist. :/

To me it looks like an ad for a resort in Mexico or something that's been tagged with dream-catchers by a graffiti artist.

Only thing missing is a travel company's logo in the corner.

The public realm will be amazing with heated granite mosaic sidewalks, a heated roadway, an asphalt cycling path (the best kind of pavement for cycling), ornamental street lights and trees in Silva cells. Heated roadways are quite rare, so it's good to see Waterfront Toronto leading the way.

It very well may be heated roadways - I did observe them laying something that would resemble the heat lines before putting concrete overtop of it in front of 390.

That might be true since I've never seen that feature mentioned in any of WT's materials, but it'll still be a fine public realm by any standard.
Having heating roads and sidewalks were never part of the plan from the beginning.

This was never raised during any meetings I attended at 20 Bay St from day one.

It maybe nice to have, but expensive to do and maintain.

Back