Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

It seems like a long wait, but in that time we should have a whole bunch of waterfront-related projects coming on line. By 2015 the waterfront will be a very different and much nicer place. So the wait should be worth it.

I could not agree more. Toronto will finally have a world-class waterfront.

QQW Blvd.jpg

photo:Waterfront Toronto - Queens Quay Revitalization

Attachments

• QQW Blvd.jpg
    QQW Blvd.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
June 9
There more up on site
7182055119_8b9d72783e_b.jpg

What, exactly, are cyclists doing at the transition from curb bike lanes to south-side bike path? It honestly looks like the westbound path just ends with no facility for cyclists to get over to the bike lane on the north side of the street.

What, exactly, are cyclists doing at the transition from curb bike lanes to south-side bike path? It honestly looks like the westbound path just ends with no facility for cyclists to get over to the bike lane on the north side of the street.

I'm trying to figure that out too. I'm not sure if the westbound path just ends; the triangle thing at the end of the path appears to be a ramp going down to street level, where the lane seems to continue, separate from the eastbound path (which I believe is on the existing sidewalk?). Maybe it's a contraflow bike lane until the next intersection, where the crosswalk can be used to transfer to the north-side bike lane? (I really have no idea...)

My guess would be contraflow as well

As a broader statement on the bike path: I appreciate the design and commitment to build it but I cannot see myself using it

As part of the "promenade"/Martin Goodman Trail it is a multi-use path and not a bike lane. I cycle aggressively and there are too many pedestrian crossings (read:areas of potential disaster) to comfortably navigate the trail. Out of respect for my fellow pedestrians and joggers who I will need to share it with, I am going to stick to the road.

Though I would not hold my breath, this motion was passed unanimously (recorded vote) by the Toronto and East York Community Council today. It goes to Council in July.

TE17.112 ACTION

Ward:28 East Bayfront LRT

Councillor McConnell recommends that:
Toronto City Council identify the East Bayfront LRT line as an added priority project and encourage the TTC, Metrolinx, and the federal and provincial governments to investigate ways and means to facilitate the construction of the East Bayfront LRT at the earliest opportunity.

Summary
Toronto's waterfront is undergoing unprecedented revitalization. The East Bayfront, situated between Lower Jarvis Street and Parliament Street, Lakeshore boulevard and Lake Ontario, is a current focus for development . After years of planning and community consultation, these lands are being transformed into a new mixed use community.

Already the site of the new Corus building, Sugar Beach, and Sherbourne Common, neighbouring properties are being revitalized. George Brown's new health sciences campus is nearly complete and will open to over 3,500 students in the Fall of 2012. The Monde condominium is currently being marketed and will be the first residential building in East Bayfront. The RFP for the Bayside section brought international investment from the Hines Corporation. Final planning is underway for their first phase, which includes a mix of commercial, condominium, and affordable rental development. In 2015, the West Don Lands, in the immediate area, will be the site of the Pan Am Games Athlete Village.

The need for rapid transit in the area is critical. The East Bayfront Transit Environmental Assessment received final approval from the Ministry of the Environment in 2010 after extensive consultation. The LRT line will connect Union Station to the new waterfront community along Queens Quay, up to Parliament Street. It is also a necessary component to providing future transit to the Port Lands to the east.

In February of this year, a group of investors and landowners wrote to City Council on the need for the East Bayfront LRT. This group of stakeholders has not received a satisfactory response to their request.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2012/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-48395.pdf

I believe I read on a Q&A section of the Waterfront Toronto site (although it could have been elsewhere) that they haven't exactly figured that out yet -- but it's Phase 3 so they have time to sort it out!

I believe I read on a Q&A section of the Waterfront Toronto site (although it could have been elsewhere) that they haven't exactly figured that out yet -- but it's Phase 3 so they have time to sort it out!

A MGT bike path will continue west from Yo Yo Ma Lane to Dan Leckie Way. This parallels the separate waterside walking path in the Music garden and beyond, so it should be pretty good for bikes. This is Phase 1 - i.e. it is happening now.

Beyond Dan Leckie though there is the same issue. What do westbound bikes do to get past Bathurst?

A MGT bike path will continue west from Yo Yo Ma Lane to Dan Leckie Way. This parallels the separate waterside walking path in the Music garden and beyond, so it should be pretty good for bikes. This is Phase 1 - i.e. it is happening now.

Beyond Dan Leckie though there is the same issue. What do westbound bikes do to get past Bathurst?

Simply cross the street at Bathurst and continue westbound on the bike lanes.

You'd have to cross at Dan Leckie way or ride on the sidewalk to Bathurst.

It would make sense to cross at Dan Leckie Way, as it will have bike lanes from Queen Street (Via Portland) all the way down to Queens Quay soon.

Waterfront Toronto considers streetcar alternatives

But Toronto’s failure to deliver the streetcar promised along Queens Quay east of Yonge St. is a growing concern among developers and politicians who say it threatens the future success of the east lakeshore communities.

Castlepoint Realty president Alfredo Romano says Waterfront Toronto’s plan to boost TTC bus service while it waits to build a streetcar “is a joke.”

“How can you convince the investment community to believe in your acceleration of the Port Lands when you can’t even get the transit to Cherry St.,” he said.

Councillor Pam McConnell (Toronto Centre-Rosedale) said developers are “apoplectic” about the lack of an East Bayfront light rail line. On Wednesday, she persuaded East York Community Council to ask the city to make waterfront transit a funding priority.

“We’ll have 10,000 people down there in a few years and we’d better have a way to transport them,” she said. “We have many developers who are in the process of final planning or land acquisition and they were promised there would be rapid transit. You can’t build neighbourhoods that are divorced from the transportation system
More........http://www.thestar.com/news/transpo...ront-toronto-considers-streetcar-alternatives

Wait a minute... density determines transit infrastructure investment?

People want streetcars. Streetcars, streetcars, streetcars!

/s

Just like Sheppard, people want the best transit money can buy, as long as it is other people's money.

QQE LRT would cost $100+ million and there is no room for it at Union, all to serve a couple of thousand people per hour. Obviously this project needs to take a back seat to the DRL and other priorities. Take the bus!

QQE LRT would cost $100+ million and there is no room for it at Union, all to serve a couple of thousand people per hour. Obviously this project needs to take a back seat to the DRL and other priorities. Take the bus!
Most of that $100 million is to upgrade Union station ... most of which is already necessary to deal with the current problems there, let alone the Waterfront West LRT down Bremner.

Back