Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

I'll be honest, the fence is not just disappointing, but also insulting. It's like a big FU from Redpath to its surrounding.
I also hate the deliberate sign on the Redpath crane saying "Since 1854" as if yelling "we were here first".
Many industrial buildings were there first, but it doesn't mean they should be there going forward.

The fence is obnoxious, but it seems rather churlish to knock Redpath for touting its age. It's a legal business that has indeed been around for 150 years -- why shouldn't it trumpet that fact? (Of course, the actual plant at the waterfront has only been there since the 1950s, but still...)

I'll be honest, the fence is not just disappointing, but also insulting. It's like a big FU from Redpath to its surrounding.
I also hate the deliberate sign on the Redpath crane saying "Since 1854" as if yelling "we were here first".
Many industrial buildings were there first, but it doesn't mean they should be there going forward.

Redpath vs "Innovation" Centre.

Redpath wins. Every. Time.

I don't see the problem with Redpath. I'd rather ten such buildings than that rubbish across the slip (current and future rubbish, I should add...also, obviously not the beach).

I realize the brave new world is the 'knowledge economy', but what chance does Toronto or any other urban area hope to attract or retain industrial commerce if the underlying current doesn't support it? Last I looked we all eat sugar. It is only acceptable to urban sensibilities if it comes from less exalted communities? If Toronto doesn't want Redpath there, they can pony up taxpayers dollars and buy them out. Or at least use taxpayer dollars to pay for a 'more suitable' fence.

I have a feeling that RedPath would be gone one day.
I doubt it as most of the sugar in Canada is processed through it. In the winter time they keep as many as three full ships in the harbor and fill the building that sits next to the dock to the roof with it come November when the St. Lawrence seaway closes until the spring.

I realize the brave new world is the 'knowledge economy'...

Is that them overpaid app developers and associated clap-trap? :p

...but what chance does Toronto or any other urban area hope to attract or retain industrial commerce if the underlying current doesn't support it? Last I looked we all eat sugar. It is only acceptable to urban sensibilities if it comes from less exalted communities?

I do believe that some people think such industry belongs in far-flung suburban warehouse wastelands.
Also, I don't even eat sugar. At least I don't stock sugar at home and I try my best to avoid processed foods with added sugar, but I love that compound and its presence.

If Toronto doesn't want Redpath there, they can pony up taxpayers dollars and buy them out.

Please no. A nationalised oil pipeline is all I can stomach for the next little while.
Wait, no, I mean a nationalised oil pipeline I can't even stomach and you want to add more? I'm going on welfare, bun this.

I have a feeling that RedPath would be gone one day.

I actually wouldn't argue that if they determined the land value was worth the cost of the move. They (along with the few other remaining industrial port users) have to know they are an unwanted anomaly in the grand vision of the urban Toronto waterfront vision.

I actually wouldn't argue that if they determined the land value was worth the cost of the move. They (along with the few other remaining industrial port users) have to know they are an unwanted anomaly in the grand vision of the urban Toronto waterfront vision.

RedPath won't move. They'll close and we'll get our sugar from their parent companies plant in Belieze; total Canadian production is a rounding error to that factory.

These employment centres may be unwanted by you but for those who work there they are rather important and the City is trying hard to maintain employment (of all kinds) in all neighbourhoods.

These employment centres may be unwanted by you but for those who work there they are rather important and the City is trying hard to maintain employment (of all kinds) in all neighbourhoods.

Those are certainly not my views. I was attempting to reflect an apparently prevailing view I have read here and elsewhere that any form of actual industry or manufacturing s apparently incompatible with urban life. I recall reading a quote several years ago from one of the iterations of public bodies that have overseen the waterfront over the years that actually stated that Redpaths, LeFarge, etc. were not part of their vision. It must have made these businesses feel so loved.

While some landscaping and a coat of paint might make them more appealing corporate citizens, I doubt it would be enough for many. And those ships are so-o-o rusty.

Back