Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

It is not supposed to stop vehicles by physical force. It is designed to make any but the drunkest or most stoned to realise they are in the wrong place. Will some idiot go through it, certainly but likely far fewer.

But it makes it look more like an underground parking entrance. But maybe that's what needed...instead of a gate, a "no parking" sign (in addition to the "do not enter, streetcars only".

But it makes it look more like an underground parking entrance. But maybe that's what needed...instead of a gate, a "no parking" sign (in addition to the "do not enter, streetcars only".
"no parking" sign in this city is treated as "I could park whereever and whenever I want without any consequences, and if I get questioned, I will start yelling that it's my right to park as I please"

World's best drivers! The bollard was bent back into shape a few days ago and now it's back down again.
IMG_20180808_190320.jpg
IMG_20180808_190336.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180808_190320.jpg
    IMG_20180808_190320.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_20180808_190336.jpg
    IMG_20180808_190336.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 412
Last edited by a moderator:
World's best drivers! The bollard was bent back into shape a few days ago and now it's back down again.
You have to wonder why they don't make them rigid, instead of forgiving (And I don't accept the garbage truck excuse). That would make a hell of a lot more drivers think more about where they're driving, just like curbs. I'm continually on 'Sixth Sense' when cycling in painted cycle lanes where many of the bollards are bent over and broken. Guess what the message is to cyclists?

the cycling bollards are typically hit down by trucks driving purposefully & slowly to make a delivery (and of course park in the bike lane) from what I have seen - which slowly destroys them but doesn't really pose any real risk to cyclists beyond the standard "car in the bike lane" risk.

which slowly destroys them but doesn't really pose any real risk to cyclists beyond the standard "car in the bike lane" risk.
"the standard 'car in the bike lane' risk" Which is exactly the point. Btw: I have many pics of cars knocking down bollards to park half into bike lanes, it's not just trucks by any means. Bloor Street is one of the most glaring examples of this. Many/most drivers just can't park, let alone drive. And I state that as someone who drove professionally for years, motorbike, cabs and trucks. And knocked over bollards *themselves* are a hazard. The same dimwits knocking over bollards to drive on the streetcar RoW are the same ones that can't park next to a 'protected' bike lane without knocking over bollards and impinging onto the cycle lane.

But what's an effective deterrent to protect cyclists will also work for the QQ protected streetcar RoW:
Travel down Telegraph Avenue in Oakland and you’ll encounter what look like giant cigarettes violently smooshed to the ground. These are so-called soft-hit posts, plastic barriers meant to separate motorists from cyclists and pedestrians that are proving as effective here as saplings against charging bulls.

For example, look at this sad specimen, with the bike lane in the foreground (before the double-white lines intended as a barrier between cars and cyclists):
upload_2018-8-8_22-30-18.png

Here’s another victim with the bike lane at right:
upload_2018-8-8_22-31-13.png

Then there’s this guy:
upload_2018-8-8_22-31-59.png

[...]
Time will tell if Oakland settles on a Rurpbo XXL Curbmaster or some such leveled-up post. But on the off chance its transportation experts are looking for outside advice, the San Francisco Municipal Transformation Authority—the guerrilla group installing makeshift lane barriers around San Francisco—emails this assessment:

Those tan-painted areas could be raised curbs or sidewalks... then you would not see the problem of drivers running over the posts to park their vehicles where they shouldn’t be.

Those are also inferior posts to the ones more commonly used which have a T-shaped profile. Those last longer and bounce back better, generally. But they all have a lifespan and should be replaced when they get totally flattened like these.

So yes—posts are better than nothing. But they could have used more posts (and could have added some in the buffer zone between the bike lane and parked cars to keep parked cars in their place), used better-quality posts, replaced the posts more often, or used a real solution like curbs, concrete, etc.
https://www.citylab.com/transportat...gn-an-effective-bike-lane-safety-post/539643/

Excellent analysis here:
Bollards on cycle-paths provide both an opportunity and danger ("The Fifty Bollard Game")
http://www.aviewfromthecyclepath.com/2013/08/the-fifty-bollard-game-how-bollards-on.html

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-8_22-30-18.png
    upload_2018-8-8_22-30-18.png
    425.7 KB · Views: 408
  • upload_2018-8-8_22-31-13.png
    upload_2018-8-8_22-31-13.png
    314.5 KB · Views: 421
  • upload_2018-8-8_22-31-59.png
    upload_2018-8-8_22-31-59.png
    430.8 KB · Views: 389
Last edited:
You have to wonder why they don't make them rigid, instead of forgiving (And I don't accept the garbage truck excuse). That would make a hell of a lot more drivers think more about where they're driving, just like curbs. I'm continually on 'Sixth Sense' when cycling in painted cycle lanes where many of the bollards are bent over and broken. Guess what the message is to cyclists?

I wish, rigid! I would love to watch and laugh as people mash up their cars driving into them. Aaaaaah, what a fun time that would be. Especially the folk who would go through insurance to repair the damage. Man, carry the weight of their incompetence for years. That's what I call street justice.

I'm not a cyclist but I get pretty upset when I see drivers mashing up bike lanes with their self-importance or incompetence.

Anyone know the ETA on when they'll finally get rid of those blue boxes around the hydro poles at Queen's Quay and Rees? What's the hold up?

Back