Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

My parents and other family members are buried in St. John's Norway cemetery and I recall many years ago that they limited the species of commemorative trees that could be planted and strongly favoured the Honey Locust ('Moraine Locust') because the small leaves degraded quickly in the fall and created fewer problems for the grounds staff. Larger leaves, especially oaks, can in sufficient quantity create a dense ground mat that is hard on grass without grounds maintenance.

One thing I see chronically is the City (and other cities) cutting grass way too short, in effect, killing it (albeit the roots somehow survive in many cases).

I can find no suitable answer on why they do this from any Parks staff I've spoken to other than "we're just doing what we've always done". It's bizarre...beyond bizarre. No reputable or informed groundskeeper would ever cut grass that short. You grow grass for a reason, so it's lush and usable, not dead threads on dry soil.

We're now facing a mild drought (it's showing to the north and east of Toronto, especially away from the Lake), some locales have water rationing in place. And the City still cuts grass to make it brown. Go figure.

Indeed. Not to mention the horrid incessant noise and dust once a week every week to iron the goddamn nonexistence grass.

I don't know about 'weedy', but yes, they provide dappled shade. Their leaves might be called fern-like to some and therefore let quite a bit of light through. Larger, healthier specimens can get quite large though, and I think quite nice, though that's personal taste I suppose. They do have a cooling effect though not as drastic as species with denser canopy.

They do often get a crap reputation because they have been a favourite to plant in the old-style concrete boxes and in parking lots, where, not surprisingly, they don't do all that well most of the time. But that's less a function of the species that the conditions in which it is being grown.

https://goo.gl/maps/SpVb62z5zyS2

I have one in my front yard (city tree) - and it's grown large enough after a quarter of a century to provide more or less a nice full shade. My neighbour on a corner lot who didn't water their lawn can't claim the same benefit, unfortunately.

My parents and other family members are buried in St. John's Norway cemetery and I recall many years ago that they limited the species of commemorative trees that could be planted and strongly favoured the Honey Locust ('Moraine Locust') because the small leaves degraded quickly in the fall and created fewer problems for the grounds staff.

You'd notice that particular benefit once the tree mature - the leaves just get blown away in those November storms before winter.

AoD

Last edited:
The City seem about to be FINALLY fixing this rather nice piece of art!

Tender
ecblank.gif
Call number: 57-2018
Commodity:
Construction Services, Construction Services
Description:
Restoration of Sun Dial Folly, 21 Queens Quay, Harbour Square Park, Toronto Tenders are invited for the Restoration of Sun Dial Folly, 21 Queens Quay, Harbour Square Park, Toronto.

All questions concerning this Tender should be directed in writing to bduffley@toronto.ca or fax (416) 397-7779.

The last day for questions with respect to this Tender is 3 days before closing time and date. (For further details, refer to Section 2 of the Tender, Item 3. Questions)

Issue date: July 20, 2018
ecblank.gif
Closing date: August 8, 2018 at 12:00 Noon

SDF.JPG

Attachments

• 57-2018 - Viewing Copy .pdf
    8.7 MB · Views: 351
  • SDF.JPG
    SDF.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 647
The City seem about to be FINALLY fixing this rather nice piece of art!

Tender
ecblank.gif
Call number: 57-2018
Commodity:
Construction Services, Construction Services
Description:
Restoration of Sun Dial Folly, 21 Queens Quay, Harbour Square Park, Toronto Tenders are invited for the Restoration of Sun Dial Folly, 21 Queens Quay, Harbour Square Park, Toronto.

All questions concerning this Tender should be directed in writing to bduffley@toronto.ca or fax (416) 397-7779.

The last day for questions with respect to this Tender is 3 days before closing time and date. (For further details, refer to Section 2 of the Tender, Item 3. Questions)

Issue date: July 20, 2018
ecblank.gif
Closing date: August 8, 2018 at 12:00 Noon

View attachment 151185

I love that piece!

But, what's wrong with it? You can't put out a tender to stop people from littering, the swine.

I love that piece!

But, what's wrong with it? You can't put out a tender to stop people from littering, the swine.
Well, last time I was there the lighting was broken, the water was not flowing, parts of it were damaged and, yes there was graffiti and litter. Lots to fix and then, PLEASE, maintain!

That must cost a fortune in heating elements and electricity. The specific heat of ice is very high.

The study they conducted in Oslo calculated the cost of snow removal, cost of salting, cost to repair damage caused by salt, and the cost to the health care system from falls. Then they determined the cost to electrify every sidewalk and cost of electricity to turn them on in downtown Oslo. Over the medium term, it was cheaper to electrify than to continue doing things as they had.

It took years to complete but the system has already paid for itself. They get the added bonus of snow free sidewalks. You'd think Canada would have figured this out decades ago.

The study they conducted in Oslo calculated the cost of snow removal, cost of salting, cost to repair damage caused by salt, and the cost to the health care system from falls. Then they determined the cost to electrify every sidewalk and cost of electricity to turn them on in downtown Oslo. Over the medium term, it was cheaper to electrify than to continue doing things as they had.

It took years to complete but the system has already paid for itself. They get the added bonus of snow free sidewalks. You'd think Canada would have figured this out decades ago.

Doesn't have to be electricity. Could be a heat pump to transfer the heat from the ground, sewers, or even the lake.

Canadians like to use the climate as an excuse for why we can't do all manner of things that the rest of the world takes for granted. That doesn't really work for this issue.

And of course - electricity prices in Norway is even higher than ours at peak.

AoD

Out of curiosity, is there a thread specifically dedicated to discussing tree species and usage on UrbanToronto?

Before I forget, I have always wondered whether municipalities select dwarf species for new suburban developments? I remember reading somewhere that dwarf species are popular due to their slow growth, small statue and therefore lack of maintenance compared to regular trees. Would be great if Northern Light has any thoughts on this.

Canadians like to use the climate as an excuse for why we can't do all manner of things that the rest of the world takes for granted. That doesn't really work for this issue.
Of course, to properly assess sidewalk heating, we’d have to add the cost of constantly repairing it because of continual routine damage from uncoordinated utility work.

Back