Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

I had the vague impression that when Ford declared streetcars dead, this project and the Cherry Street streetcar line were both essentially put on ice. Is that not the case?

The Cherry line (from King to the railway corridor) went to the full council and was approved about two months ago. It is going to be built and it's going to happen soon.

The Cherry line (from King to the railway corridor) went to the full council and was approved about two months ago. It is going to be built and it's going to happen soon.
The ROW might well be put in place, with grass. But I don't think there's any funding in the budget to put the track in. And if you look in the most recent renderings Waterfront Toronto released last month - for example:

you'll notice that on Cherry (the road in the bottom left corner) the streetcar ROW shows no tracks. Though a streetcar does appear in one of the images.

I certainly wouldn't be too sure that there's going to be any track construction starting soon! At best it wouldn't be until 2014 or early 2015, once the major construction is done.

I'd rather this area get LRT than Sheppard. At least it makes sense here.

Sheppard needs the LRT way more then the waterfront. In fact, the waterfront is a pretty low priority when compared to other areas of the city. Toronto's priorities should logically be:

1. Eglinton Crosstown LRT
2. Finch West LRT
3. Sheppard East LRT
4. Waterfront West LRT
5. Jane LRT
6. Don Mills LRT
7. Malvern LRT

It doesn't specify in the article but I assume that the lion share of the $272 million bill would be to expand the loop at Union Station.
I'd assume so. After that, it's only 2 km to Cherry Street - which I'm not even sure they can get to right now until the slip at the foot of Parliament is dealt with. I think people forget just how short distances we're talking about.

Originally, the loop at Union for Waterfront East was just a smaller add-on to the rebuild that was necessary for Union for Waterfront West/Bremner; but now that's all slipped into the background, suddenly all the cost would be on this.

I certainly wouldn't be too sure that there's going to be any track construction starting soon! At best it wouldn't be until 2014 or early 2015, once the major construction is done.

Unless the TTC's track construction schedule has gone completely to shit - it isn't that far off of that now - construction on relocating utilities was supposed to start in November or December, and track construction in earnest is supposed to start late this year.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Unless the TTC's track construction schedule has gone completely to shit - it isn't that far off of that now - construction on relocating utilities was supposed to start in November or December, and track construction in earnest is supposed to start late this year.
I think they'd since decided to defer the track construction until after the bulk of the buildings for the village was done ... there was something posted in one of these threads about that.

I think they'd since decided to defer the track construction until after the bulk of the buildings for the village was done ... there was something posted in one of these threads about that.

The reconstruction of Cherry Street is underway - they are busily moving all the utilities to the west side and the road itself will be rebuilt starting in summer 2012, or so I heard. Apparently the streetcar track is part of this process and the cost of it will be paid for by Infrastructure Ontario as part of the Pan-Am Games construction in WDL BUT they do not want the streetcar there during the Games so it may not actually be operating until late 2015. I think the tracks will be installed but they may defer this until after the Games too. It is not a long stretch, King to the rail bridge so it is not going to take long to do, once they get started.

Sheppard needs the LRT way more then the waterfront. In fact, the waterfront is a pretty low priority when compared to other areas of the city. Toronto's priorities should logically be:

1. Eglinton Crosstown LRT
2. Finch West LRT
3. Sheppard East LRT
4. Waterfront West LRT
5. Jane LRT
6. Don Mills LRT
7. Malvern LRT

Actually my list would be

1. DRL
2. Eglinton line

the rest are all kind of non-priorities.

Anywhere could use an LRT before Sheppard because Sheppard shouldn't have an LRT; it has a subway that simply needs to be finished.

Whn it comes to the TTC, that is soon to me. I will have to investigate this situation further, but the tracks can't be that costly an item given how short this extension will be. It's just a few blocks. I know there is special work required at King but, going back to the original posters comments on funding being blocked, funding for the King-Bathurst intersection reconstruction was approved without comment by any Ford-backed TTC members and that was a pretty complex job that probably cost quite a bit.

Actually my list would be

1. DRL
2. Eglinton line

the rest are all kind of non-priorities.

Anywhere could use an LRT before Sheppard because Sheppard shouldn't have an LRT; it has a subway that simply needs to be finished.
or converted to LRT. Guess we will see when that committee comes back

please... we just want the track's rebuilt / replaced before the entire thing becomes a 5km/h zone on QQ.

Back