Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Don't take my word for it - walk around the building. For such a high priced property it certainly could have looked better.

AoD

I remember the 401 QQ fuss over the bridge there, but I hadn't heard of any other issues. They should start w/ Harbourfront to HTO, sort out any issues w/ the fire boats, then merrily build in both directions.

I thought that the main issue at this point was funding. My impression was that Queens Quay was among the last funded projects, and we won't be seeing much more progress until funding becomes available or WT is granted borrowing privileges.

I most certainly hope you're right - The whole boardwalk scheme, sure but it would be kind of odd that the budget is so tight that WT cannot find the any money for just one bridge.

AoD

I most certainly hope you're right - The whole boardwalk scheme, sure but it would be kind of odd that the budget is so tight that WT cannot find the any money for just one bridge.

AoD

There's actually five bridges.

Spadina Footbridge
Spadina Slip (just east of Spadina Avenue)
Span: 61.5 metres

Peter Footbridge
Peter Slip (between Spadina Avenue and Rees Street)
Span: 60.9 metres

Police Footbridge
Police Basin (directly behind the Marine Police Station)
Span: 10.75 metre

Rees Footbridge
Span: 42.1 metres (lift bridge)

Simcoe Footbridge
: Simcoe Slip (just west of Simcoe Street)
Span: 57.6 metres (lift bridge)

Rode the whole QQ today. Was fantastic. Everything looked great - once the trees grow it will be quite a beautiful street. The benches are attractive and useful, the light poles are well designed and unique, the paving looks great, and the cycling experience was wonderful. Some bikers definitely push the limit by going a bit fast, and some pedestrians are just overwhelmed by all the things to look at that they wander onto the path and linger without being aware of their surroundings. I found a few spots to be particularly difficult: outside the Redpath, a semi truck was stuck in line to get into the factory and was blocking the path and sidewalk (though just barely not the road). At the westin, there was a lot of traffic going into the parking area. And, there were tons of people getting off the ferry, at which point the cyclists just had to stop and wait for the tide to ebb. Still, I was extremely excited to see how beautiful the waterfront is, and I didn't mind going a bit slower to be aware of the pedestrians and traffic at a few points. More time to look around and appreciate the evolution of the city!

And re the bridge discussion, I see the completion of the bridges as the pedestrian counterpoint to the MGT: it will allow for a continuous lakeside experience, and is now the vital missing link.

Here's my quick review video of the Queens Quay MGT. Nothing that we haven't discussed here already.

Interesting video. That all looks great, but I'm wondering if the bike path should have been made wider to enable riders to pass others moving in the same direction, but without having to merge into the oncoming lane....I can see some head-on collisions happening here if riders become too impatient.

But those cyclist/pedestrian conflict points are bad...that needs to be fixed. Frankly, I'm surprised that wasn't caught in the planning stages. The one choke point around the Westin is particularly bad. That should be fixed, asap.

That's insane. Can anyone explain how this would happen other than just sheer stupidity of one driver turning into the next??? Did he not know the switch was set that way?

Yes - that is correct. It was a 510 union Station old streetcar that failed to notice the switch and turned into one of the new streetcars. Lately - they have had a dedicated switchman turning it at Spadina south T and another at the QQ T. If I had a weather proof dslr I would of got pictures of it. It was raining fairly heavy at the time and the new car likely slid a bit further because of wet rails.

These new streetcars are taking a beating. Maybe I'm just seeing it more, but it seems like streetcar and bus drivers need to be retrained on how to drive lately. So many crashes and red lights being run. And I'm not talking about cars turning in front of streetcar paths. Just today I watched two streetcars wait till an intersection turned red before making a left hand turn.

I don't know........... I drove along QQ this morning and a guy went over the solid yellow line into what I guess he thought was the left hand turn lane where he waited and blocked the oncoming traffic. I'm not sure if it's poorly marked lanes more than just plain stupidity!

I don't know........... I drove along QQ this morning and a guy went over the solid yellow line into what I guess he thought was the left hand turn lane where he waited and blocked the oncoming traffic. I'm not sure if it's poorly marked lanes more than just plain stupidity!
Solid yellow line. Pretty standard.

Look at the ass at 1:56 of the video. People can't ride that fast on this part of the trail :mad:

Why not? Queens Quay's speed limit is 40 km/h.

Interesting video. That all looks great, but I'm wondering if the bike path should have been made wider to enable riders to pass others moving in the same direction, but without having to merge into the oncoming lane....I can see some head-on collisions happening here if riders become too impatient.

It certainly did seem rather narrow when I was riding it, and I found myself needing to ride roughly on the centre line to overtake. But it is still possible to fit 4 people side-by-side, as demonstrated at 0:33 in the video.

Head-on collisions between bicycles are unlikely in any situation ever. Cyclists are way too manoeuvrable for that to ever be an issue.

Back