Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Went by today. Very stark. Concrete and little to no shade. The only thing I walked away with was cyclists thinking the path is an Indy 500 route giving the finger to pedestrians who get in their way. Won't be long before we hear about a collision, if they ever get reported between pedestrians and cyclists.

Is it a bike path or a bike expressway
The only thing I walked away with was cyclists thinking the path is an Indy 500 route giving the finger to pedestrians who get in their way. Won't be long before we hear about a collision, if they ever get reported between pedestrians and cyclists.

+1.

I was almost hit by one of those stupid cyclists who are treating this path as a race course

Went by today. Very stark. Concrete and little to no shade. The only thing I walked away with was cyclists thinking the path is an Indy 500 route giving the finger to pedestrians who get in their way. Won't be long before we hear about a collision, if they ever get reported between pedestrians and cyclists.

They'll be significantly more shade as the tree canopy matures in the next 20 years

What a POS, but I saw it coming.

View attachment 48854

What a complete joke. This guy--and, perhaps by extension, Tory insofar as he made DMW Deputy Mayor--has an abject ignorance of city building, and displays such pathetic ignorance about the virtues of urban development that it's stupefying.

He's an unimaginative petty bean counter without vision and character.

What a complete joke. This guy--and, perhaps by extension, Tory insofar as he made DMW Deputy Mayor--has an abject ignorance of city building, and displays such pathetic ignorance about the virtues of urban development that it's stupefying.

He's an unimaginative petty bean counter without vision and character.

In other words, he is a classic Torontonian. He really reflects our city's indifference to the public realm/aesthetics better than anyone at city hall. No wonder he has held his position since 1994.

Not too busy today.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    1,021 KB · Views: 850
Nothing he's saying is untrue.

If Chow was criticizing something that Tory did that was over budget and overdue with no disclosure would you call her a POS? Don't think so.

I see your point, but I take it that what's objectionable about DMW's comment is that he's very quick to criticize urban development for cost overruns and perceived mismanagement, and too slow to celebrate urban development for strengthening civic ties and developing a livable city.

Again, he's a bean counter who stubbornly resists the realities of urban development in the 21st century.

Is it a bike path or a bike expressway

It seems a bit odd to be accusing the slowest group of vehicles of being too fast. Cars are going 40 km/h, streetcars are going 30 km/h, and bicycles are slower than either. My single-speed bike cruises at 22 km/h, and I was among the fastest people on the path. My guess is that the average speed is around 18 km/h.

I was almost hit by one of those stupid cyclists who are treating this path as a race course

Which begs the question of why you were on said "expressway" in the first place.

I expect that your experience would have equally unpleasant, if not worse, had you stepped into the path of a streetcar on the ROW or a truck on the road.

Last edited:
The MGT is multipurpose, not just for bikes. Pedestrians are allowed to use it according to Waterfront Toronto's instructions. They even suggest walking your bike when there are too many pedestrians. There's also a speed limit of 20km/h.

The MGT is multipurpose, not just for bikes. Pedestrians are allowed to use it according to Waterfront Toronto's instructions. They even suggest walking your bike when there are too many pedestrians. There's also a speed limit of 20km/h.
Then maybe they should take away the large white bicycle markings. There are other sections of the MGT that are separated for bikes and pedestrians, and it makes sense for this section to be separated as well. Fortunately, that's prett much how people are using it.

Back