Toronto Queen & Portland Loft & Condominium Residences | ?m | 9s | Tribute | Turner Fleischer

Some (sadly non-photographic) updates:

The sales centre is moving a few doors east on Queen to a smaller space where they will sell the remaining units.

Excavation has hit bottom and the ramp is now being moved to the opposite (north-east) corner of the site in order to complete shoring. Foundation work should commence shortly.

It was early October when they first put up the construction fencing and started the archeology work. They are digging this hole like a reluctant teenager. I'm surprised it has taken so long. But almost every day they are there taking out a few more loads.

The archaeological survey is what took a long time, and those guys don't really have an incentive to be quick.

They've only been excavating since February.

And it's official:

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/riocan-real-estate-investment-trust,916576.shtml

Relevant excerpt:

The plans for the Queen and Portland development project call for a total of approximately 92,000 square feet of retail space. The retail space at the site which was originally configured for a single tenant use has been repositioned to accommodate multiple tenants. "As a result of this change, we have been able to lease the property to high quality tenants that will serve the needs of the local community, as well as maintain the vibrant feel of the development" said Edward Sonshine, Q.C., President and CEO of RioCan. Loblaws has signed a lease for a supermarket use of approximately 45,000 square feet on the second floor and 8,000 square feet on street level for a flagship Joe Fresh clothing store. Winners has signed a lease for approximately 29,000 square feet on the third floor. The balance of the street front space, along Queen Street, is expected to be leased to a financial institution as well as two smaller tenants.

/\ Don't worry. Queen West has been dead ever since the suburban hipsters took it over several years ago. Winners is perfectly appropriate here - heck, while we're at it why not slot a one-story West49 into the fire-damaged area a couple storefronts over!

/\ Don't worry. Queen West has been dead ever since the suburban hipsters took it over several years ago. Winners is perfectly appropriate here - heck, while we're at it why not slot a one-story West49 into the fire-damaged area a couple storefronts over!

Be bitter about it or not, but that's the natural, organic progression of city neighbourhoods and I wouldn't expect it to change anytime soon.

Queen West is still a nice area (it's popular for a reason) as well as WQW and alllll sorts of neighbourhoods that are SO cool, they aren't even discovered yet!!! omgz!

Loblaws has signed a lease for a supermarket use of approximately 45,000 square feet on the second floor and 8,000 square feet on street level for a flagship Joe Fresh clothing store. Winners has signed a lease for approximately 29,000 square feet on the third floor. The balance of the street front space, along Queen Street, is expected to be leased to a financial institution as well as two smaller tenants.

That's it then. The corporate taking over of Queen West is now complete. It used to be relegated to east of Spadina, but will now extend to Bathurst. That's tragic. I wonder how places like Velvet Underground, Shanghai Cowgirl, etc. will like this. I'm not normally a NIMBY, and this isn't my BY, but it's truly a horrible horrible day (except for the grocery store - it's desperately needed).

Be bitter about it or not, but that's the natural, organic progression of city neighbourhoods and I wouldn't expect it to change anytime soon.

Queen West is still a nice area (it's popular for a reason) as well as WQW and alllll sorts of neighbourhoods that are SO cool, they aren't even discovered yet!!! omgz!

I think that would actually require an OMFGZ LOLZ!

Aug 7

IMG_aug-08-09-0016.jpg

IMG_aug-08-09-0017.jpg

IMG_aug-08-09-0021.jpg

New Loblaws

WOW, does anyone remember the last time Loblaws added a new store, under that brand in the 416? :eek:

I'm thinking that must go back to the Queen's Quay store (which was really a relocation of store in the Yonge Street Arcade @ Temperance. )

Now the question is can they build a nice, intelligent store, as opposed to a pseudo-walmart which they've built the last few years.

Time will tell.

They've been doing something at MLG recently as well. I've noticed quite a few people coming and going, and they've redone the screens on the doors along Carlton.

Lobalaws at Dufferin & Steeles (which is horrible btw) is likely newer than QQE.

I'm not saying that I'm caught up in the branding issue, but for the record I just drove by Dufferin and Steeles today and it looks like that location is a Real Canadian Superstore.

Back