Toronto Queen & Portland Loft & Condominium Residences | ?m | 9s | Tribute | Turner Fleischer

They have been steadily but slowly proceeding with shoring and excavation, though this morning and late last week the day did not start with the usual lineup of dump trucks so I'm not sure why the pause. The archeologist was frequently on-site for weeks, and I wonder if partly it was about making sure they had located and removed all buried oil tanks etc. to avoid an accident that would contaminate the site. The only other thing they uncovered were basic foundations of the early buildings that had been cleared from the site in the 30's or 40's when this site became I believe a car dealership.

One of the Tribute people tells me that the archeological study is not yet complete, which is a condition for getting the full building permit from the city. They expect it to take a "few more weeks" potentially.

I'm not exactly how it's organized, but it seems like Tribute construction people are doing the work to uncover everything that the archeologists need to see, and are meanwhile trucking the excess soil away and shoring up the perimeter (piles went in some time ago), which is why the site is excavated about 1-2m already. This way, some excavation work is slowly being done before actual full-on excavation begins in earnest.

3427322676_fb30396b40_o.jpg

3426513661_a501b3801b_o.jpg

the space between the tree planters and the building doesn't even look wide enough for a baby stroller.

Is there only going to be the one door on the corner? It would be better if there were at least one smaller business at the other end. Seems a lot of dead space to be facing this section of Queen.

the space between the tree planters and the building doesn't even look wide enough for a baby stroller.

Yeah, I agree. I wish that all new buildings on Queen were set back a meter from the property line because that sidewalk is narrow. Perhaps some kind of tax deal could sweeten the pot?

Is there only going to be the one door on the corner? It would be better if there were at least one smaller business at the other end. Seems a lot of dead space to be facing this section of Queen.

There will be 4 or 5 units along Queen, each with their own entrance. The (NE) corner is the entrance for the space on the 2nd and 3rd floors.

This is the perfect approach to this neighborhood. It's too bad about the Home Depot not going through. Hopefully a grocer takes its place. There's definitely a need for major grocery store here.

In the meantime, it's quite a story I didn't expect to roll out. I live in the area and used to hate seeing this gap in the West Queen West fabric. Now that it's being filled in, the fire down on the same block has created a new gap that seems to have no short term plan of being filled back in.

Pic

Here's a pic I just snapped today. It's not in the photo, but on site they have some machine that eats bricks... and, well I guess, there's a joke to insert here.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 230
Riocan has done deal with Loblaws on this site.

Back