Toronto Queen & Portland Loft & Condominium Residences | ?m | 9s | Tribute | Turner Fleischer

We've shown this site to WholeFoods; too close to HazeltonLanes for them...but a grocery store would be a great use.

Wouldn't a grocery store have similar service requirements re. loading bays and elevators?

BTW. I like the Sicily tag.

Looks like it's back on the front burner for WFM....the site/neighbourhood may work after all for them.

Thanks on the tag comment...it only makes sense; odd though a German felt that way after a short visit to the great island!

There's a rumour going around that Wittington Properties (Loblaws) sold the Lakeshore & Bathurst property to Concord Adex.

We've shown this site to WholeFoods; too close to HazeltonLanes for them...but a grocery store would be a great use.

I'm totally in favour of Wholefoods. Yes it is slightly upscale but it will help the area out. I feel Queen between Spadina and just west of Bathurst seems to be a very forgotten area.

Let's see what happens.

I don't think that the demographics of Queen & Portland is suitable for Whole Foods. You can't walk out of there without paying some heavy premiums. Agree that the rumoured urban format Loblaws concept is the way to go.

OMG, that must be scary for the regulag customers. Toronto Health literally said if you have anything from the store, throw it away.

Not to downplay the seriousness of having a rodent infestation in a grocery store but if this really freaks you out let me just say I deal with buildings and I swear by the following statement. You have NEVER been in a restaurant or food store that does not have rats and or mice. There are very few places including your home where you are ever not within 15 feet of their droppings. This is no excuse not to clean up and control their populations but people really need to chillax.

I'm betting on a grocery store for this location. Why? Looks like Riocan picked up some grocery store locations in Quebec:

RioCan to Buy Montreal Retail Portfolio from ING for $67M
Jan 23, 2009
By: Barbra Murray, Contributing Editor

Toronto-headquartered RioCan Real Estate Investment Trust has just struck a deal to take six grocery-anchored shopping centers in suburban Montreal off the hands of ING Real Estate Canada L.P. RioCan REIT will shell out $67.5 million for the portfolio, which encompasses an aggregate 454,000 square feet.

"These are safe assets you buy for the income with a little bit of growth through rent," Jonathan Gitlin, vice president of investments for RioCan REIT, told CPN. Sicard Centre in Sainte-Thérèse and Saint-Jean Centre in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu are the two largest assets in the group, featuring approximately 107,000 and 103,000 square feet, respectively. The remaining properties include the 69,000-square-foot La Prairie Centre in La Prairie; the 63,300-square-foot Concorde Centre in Laval; the 52,000-square-foot René Robert Centre in Sainte-Thérèse; and Sainte-Julie Centre in Sainte-Julie, a 49,000-square-foot property that is being expanded to 60,000 square feet.

The shopping centers have an average age of 14.5 years, and lease agreements with an average 7.9 years remaining. Approximately 82.8 percent of the collective tenant roster consists of both national and regional businesses, with 74 percent of the income being produced by grocery, pharmacy and bank tenants. And the average occupancy level, presently 99.4 percent, is indicative of a particularly tight segment of the retail market in Montreal, and pretty much all of Canada. "Grocery-anchored centers' occupancy rates are still really strong," Gitlin said. Grocery stores in Canada are doing well--a sign of, or in spite of the economy--so there's not much in terms of tenant fallout." Aside from the grocery stores, he said, the major tenants in the ING portfolio are highly coveted national and regional retailers, as opposed to local shops that may be more vulnerable in a changing economic climate.

Occupancy levels for Canada's retail market overall have been kept in line by the fact that Canada did not build as much as the U.S. over the last few years. "In the States, the barriers to entry weren't there, and capital was easily attainable," Gitlin noted. "Now, it's a better market in general up here, especially for uses like this portfolio."

Brookfield Financial listed the six shopping centers on behalf of ING as part of a 37-property offering.

http://www.commercialpropertynews.c...rnational/e3id5a3b7b312c98a75a216889026c64ea7

RioCan already has oodles of grocery stores located within its developments across the country: it's nothing new for them.

Mar15-09066.jpg

Back