Toronto Queen & Ashbridge | 60.15m | 17s | Context Development | Teeple Architects

qa-149.jpg

qa-150.jpg

qa-151.jpg

Attachments

• qa-152.jpg
    qa-152.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 25
Hard to imagine this spread out over 4 buildings, up to 17 stories.

qa-153.jpg

This would be dispiriting if you were a buyer because the renders suggested Bianca, not a modular storage facility. Anyone who looked at past projects would see that Bianca looks like its renders, SQ looks like its renders and so on.

qa-154.jpg

hmm, ok, I'm sure I need to see this in person, but is it actually that bad ? :) The darker black window frames are nice. I think this cladding type can actually look pretty good if executed well i.e. spacing between panels and the like, this is probably the issue here.

It's bad, but you can't tell how bad at this point. It's a big building, so maybe it'll be more than the sum of its parts and the panels will congeal into that drab, generic Toronto condo look. Or it could go the other way and all the junky bits could reverberate into a major eyesore. Too soon to tell.

Yes, perhaps I over-reacted; it's too soon to tell but... still, I'm not impressed thus far. And might I add that hoping that it merely blends in with other modern schlock is hardly a thing to aspire to.

What a massive let down for the area. First the cheap-looking monstrosity at Logan and Eastern, and now this. Those panels look tissue-thin and utterly plasticky. Ugh. Most unfortunate.
Not to mention hideous clunky massing. The randomized window cutouts , and square windows aren't a good look either.

Not to mention hideous clunky massing. The randomized window cutouts , and square windows aren't a good look either.
I don't mind that, personally. Getting away from ordered grids can be a good thing - at least in my books. The tyranny of perfectly repeating patterns can be stultifying.

This building was sold by the city and developer as a good building in exchange for size and the public-private land swap. So far, it's not good.

I thought the panels were aluminum but I also noticed the vinyl sheen (you can really see it at night). Could it be vinyl siding and that's why there's the ugly strapping?

This building was sold by the city and developer as a good building in exchange for size and the public-private land swap. So far, it's not good.

I thought the panels were aluminum but I also noticed the vinyl sheen (you can really see it at night). Could it be vinyl siding and that's why there's the ugly strapping?
I've been following this discussion with great interest.

An hour ago I was driving along Kingston Road and I noticed the panels installed on this condo project. Are they similar?

I stopped to take some shots.

DSC_8723.jpeg

DSC_8717.jpeg

DSC_8720.jpeg

It was overcast with approaching darkness, making for poor photos.

@Paclo has much better shots from last August.

No, those walls were built on site and the panels are just the final covering. At QA, the entire wall sections, including the windows, are large prefabricated panels that snap together like Magna-tiles.

Back