548     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 488     0 

Toronto Public Library: Facilities Master Plan

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
This could go here, or in one of the development threads, but as it covers a panoply of projects at various stages, I've stuck it here for now.

First, TPL's Board meets next week.

Meeting link here: https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/about-the-library/board/meetings/2019-jan-12.jsp

Second, at said meeting they will consider the Facilities Master Plan that will guide capital investment over the next few decades.

https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca.../jan12/11-facilities-master-plan-combined.pdf

Highlights from the above:

1. Two new branches recommended, Portlands and Etobicoke City Centre.

2. All other needs to be met by branch expansion, renovation, relocation etc. as well as greater open hours.

3. In downtown, the shift and enlargement of City Hall branch and St. Lawrence were already contemplated, though not funded. Also proposed are an expansion to Lillian H. Smith, undetermined investment for St. Jamestown, expansion/relo for
Parliament, reconstruction for Spadina/Bloor.

4. Elsewhere in the City major investments for Parkdale, Rexdale, Sanderson, Jones, Danforth/Coxwell, Albert Campbell, Maryvale, Bridletown, Don Mills, Fairview, and Barbara Frum among others.

St. Lawrence just got renovated IIRC? Or was that just for water damage? It seems like they weren't able to fix the venting/air flow system because there's almost always a musk inside. :(

St. Lawrence just got renovated IIRC? Or was that just for water damage? It seems like they weren't able to fix the venting/air flow system because there's almost always a musk inside. :(
Water damage (again!). The St Lawrence library is being 'promoted' from a "Branch" to a "District Library" and will be moving to a new building on the First Parliament site - by 2025/26 if I understand right. The exact location there will be discussed in the First Parliament site Master Plan which is being worked on by the City at the moment.

Water damage (again!). The St Lawrence library is being 'promoted' from a "Branch" to a "District Library" and will be moving to a new building on the First Parliament site - by 2025/26 if I understand right. The exact location there will be discussed in the First Parliament site Master Plan which is being worked on by the City at the moment.

That is my understanding as well.

I believe 2 other branches are being considered for elevation to 'district' status as well as part of replacement/relo projects.

Back