Vaughan Promenade Mall Revitalization | ?m | 35s | Liberty Development | WZMH

From this past Friday, June 9th.

West tower is working on the floor of level 26/35, and the East tower is working on walls of level 23/30.

Notice in the last 2 photos, the podium is split. I'm assuming this to allow for expansion/contraction. Still, it seems relatively noticeable, and based on the materials used on the rest of this development, I have very little confidence it'll end up being hidden.
20230609_185217~2.jpg
20230609_185217~3.jpg
20230609_185241.jpg
20230609_185244.jpg
20230609_185327.jpg
20230609_185342.jpg

The theatre at Promenade is pretty neat. I've been a few times over the years and it's almost Cineplex VIP in terms of leg room and reclining chairs, but moderately priced.
And they usually have some of the latest big releases.

On a side note: Yes the mall is dead but this part of the plan. Rent has been jacked up from what I’ve heard but also the mall will be going through some drastic reconstruction not too far out.

I was surprised though that Club Monaco is still there. And even more surprised that there’s now a Sunrise Records near the cafeteria and what looks like a indoor roller rink in the former H&M store.

Yeah, Club Monaco is an interesting ligering business and the Sunrise Records is a welcome, new addition. I was talking with a guy a few months ago who was looking at setting up an indie record shop there and they quoted him crazy rents so, yes, does seem to be sort of a plan. Hillcrest Mall used to be the deader of the two malls but has really picked up steam over the past few years, including by picking up a lot of the stores that have left Promenade. It makes me wonder what market there would be for Promenade to capture if there is reconstruction but something, I hope.

Oh and the theatres are small screens (I wouldn't have gone to see Lord of the Rings there, if I could avoid it) but they do have nice seats and aren't so bad with the digital projection and such. They always have the new releases same day as everyone else and it's a nice Cineplex alternative, anyway.

Yeah, Club Monaco is an interesting ligering business and the Sunrise Records is a welcome, new addition. I was talking with a guy a few months ago who was looking at setting up an indie record shop there and they quoted him crazy rents so, yes, does seem to be sort of a plan. Hillcrest Mall used to be the deader of the two malls but has really picked up steam over the past few years, including by picking up a lot of the stores that have left Promenade. It makes me wonder what market there would be for Promenade to capture if there is reconstruction but something, I hope.

Oh and the theatres are small screens (I wouldn't have gone to see Lord of the Rings there, if I could avoid it) but they do have nice seats and aren't so bad with the digital projection and such. They always have the new releases same day as everyone else and it's a nice Cineplex alternative, anyway.
What Promenade is going through is the next phase of what malls will become in the future. The redevelopment with condos will definitely give it a boost. It’s ahead of many other malls in the GTA when it comes to transforming expansive existing parking lots. Even the demographics in the area has changed quite a bit in the last 10 years, I’ll say that T&T is a pretty big draw.

What Promenade is going through is the next phase of what malls will become in the future. The redevelopment with condos will definitely give it a boost. It’s ahead of many other malls in the GTA when it comes to transforming expansive existing parking lots. Even the demographics in the area has changed quite a bit in the last 10 years, I’ll say that T&T is a pretty big draw.
I have a feeling Mapleview out here in Burlington will be getting this treatment rather soon. Or it will be proposed, at least. NIMBYism is wild in that part of the city.

Not surprisingly, the renders look less spandrely.
PromenadeParkTowers_Inventory_Remaining.png

Maybe these pics are from the back side, which is why you can't see that kind of cutout they have breaking up the left/right massing.
Right now, they're kinda chunky looking too but I guess I'l wait until they're finished before fully hating on how bad they look.

I need to say, I’ll always miss the glass canopy ”atrium” by the Clark (Southern) entrance to the former Sears. The way the sunlight entered was truly magnificent, reminiscent of the Eaton Centre Dundas Atrium… sadly, I couldn’t find any pictures. If I remember correctly, there was at least one ’80s lamp dangling there too.

This specific demolished Sears, will always have a place in my heart after growing up at Bathurst/Finch.

I got my Gameboy there on the first floor, as well as my first skateboard. The best khakis I ever had were on the second floor. Also, the photos my family had taken by the photographer in the West hallway.

Out of all the possible anchors to get redeveloped first, this one hurts me the most…

I have similar sentiments about Summit Park Mall in Niagara Falls, NY.

Back