News   Apr 25, 2024
 321     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 998     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Toronto Police Service Reformation

Though I wouldn't lay this issue on Ford nor Tory that much - unlike the Stingray matter.

AoD

The appointment of Mark Saunders and the police board appointments are Tory's actions. Had we had a tougher police board and a better chief, we'd at least have a police service more responsive. Instead, it looks like we'll be looking for another chief sooner rather than later when Saunders is asked to fall on his sword.

From the globe and mail article:

In 2001, Mr. McArthur was arrested and charged with assault after he attacked a sex worker with a lead pipe. As part of the conditions of his conviction, he was banned from the Gay Village for two years. It is not clear whether that charge would have remained on his record, given he may have applied for a pardon.

He beat up another person with metal pipe and got the white guy treatment from the police. This is what the police fans like Hugh Jass above (was this account created just to troll in this thread? seems so) don't get. He beat up another person with metal pipe and probably got an apology for the inconvenience. Two years ban from the village? Are you kidding me?

Y
Actually, the lead investigator of homicide is pointing fingers:

Police incident with alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur subject of internal probe

And you can’t make assumptions, much less implies he had a record of killings before this relatively current spate - the typical profile is one thing - but is that what the evidence suggests?

AoD
I'm not making assumptions. All the data overwhelmingly suggests that most people who kill in a violent nature as perhaps he did do not start in their later years, actually, they tend to wind down in their 50's and 60's. In other words, he just didn't start recently, there was a build up. He practiced and got good at what he was doing. He was arrested for aggravated assault in the past, and that as well was part of the build up. The public thinking this just started and blaming TPS due to the sexual orientation and race of the victims is ridiculous. Mark my word- we will see way more bodies than just these 6 or 7. It's the tip of the iceburg.
The evidence is still mounting as I believe they have discovered #7 recently, and now they are going through pictures he took of the victims. Therefore, the evidence is still not determined yet

From the globe and mail article:

He beat up another person with metal pipe and got the white guy treatment from the police. This is what the police fans like Hugh Jass above (was this account created just to troll in this thread? seems so) don't get. He beat up another person with metal pipe and probably got an apology for the inconvenience. Two years ban from the village? Are you kidding me?

Not trolling, I just was surprised at how the public sees things. He had no prior criminal record before the assault you mention, as per sentencing guidelines, he was actually placed on probation and completed it successfully. I can name a large amount of cases where people arrested on their first offence are released rather easily. I'm not going to address sentencing, as I too believe people are let off too easily. But, my point being that I will directly say that the public is so quick to point fingers at the police, but, there's very little insight into the nature of his crimes which were likely well hidden. So, on one hand it's important to hold the police accountable, but, on the other, I'm of the opinion that there has to be some idea who these (psychopaths, sexual sadists) function

Not trolling, I just was surprised at how the public sees things. He had no prior criminal record before the assault you mention, as per sentencing guidelines, he was actually placed on probation and completed it successfully. I can name a large amount of cases where people arrested on their first offence are released rather easily. I'm not going to address sentencing, as I too believe people are let off too easily. But, my point being that I will directly say that the public is so quick to point fingers at the police, but, there's very little insight into the nature of his crimes which were likely well hidden. So, on one hand it's important to hold the police accountable, but, on the other, I'm of the opinion that there has to be some idea who these (psychopaths, sexual sadists) function
'emerge

I agree. The police charged him and brought him before the court. After that, he is in the hands of the legal system. If he was a first-time offender, a discharge or suspended sentence is not unusual.

I think research will agree that it is unusual for a serial offender to 'emerge' so late in life, and there may well be a wake of victims yet to be discovered. On the other hand, he could have been escalating over the years and only culminating in homicide in the recent past. There are wide range of factors that could affect his behavior and his determination whether he could get away with what his urges are telling him to do. People like this may be called sick or deranged, but they are generally not stupid.

Oh, for sure that's possible. I think it's fair to say that at the very least he was skilled at hiding whatever he was doing rather well. It's also necessary to note that his ability to fool people was likely rather high as he was able to maintain a job, friends, family etc..and at the same time he was able to lure other victims as they likely did not see him as threatening. It's easy to see where TPS made mistakes in retro-spect, but, I'm interested in knowing why somehow it's turning into a TPS vs LGTBQ ? How could it be seen as discriminatory that the police may have missed clues that were confusing to say the least? The fact he was questioned by police in the past means very little in my opinion. If you look at killers who have been convicted who are on his level, a large amount of them had police contact prior as well. I don't understand the discrimination assertions.

Suspended with pay still.

Should have been fired on the spot.

Suspension with pay is the law. The Legislature recently updated the Police Services Act for the first time in 25 years to allow, among other things, officers to be suspended without pay under certain circumstances when charged with crimes. But the new law includes quite a considerable number of changes, so comes into effect in two phases: January 1, 2019 and January 1, 2020. The suspension without pay rules come into force in 2020.

Toronto police officer on paid suspension for 11 years could finally be fired.

A Toronto police officer who has been collecting a public service paycheque during a roughly 11-year suspension will learn his fate today.

Const. Ioan-Florin Floria was arrested in 2007, accused by his employer of blocking a kidnapping investigation and using his position to aid a criminal organization.

Floria has remained on paid suspension throughout the criminal and disciplinary proceedings. He earned $102,527.87 plus benefits in 2017, according to Toronto Police Services Board data.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ioan-florin-floria-disciplinary-sentencing-1.4685978

Now if you want to talk about waste of taxpayers money...

AoD

https://twitter.com/jpags/status/1034543343089471504

Jennifer Pagliaro: A police spokesperson says officers were called to a North York location because of "possible trouble" and ended up posing for photos with a fringe mayoral candidate in campaign gear (who has defended white supremacist ideals) but had "no idea" who she was

Nobody in the comments is buying the bullshit explanation. What a surprise.

Back